Chapter 31

I awoke, it was around midnight and only Rick was asleep, I saw Carl staring at his father. I watched as Rick's chest stopped moving and his breathing stopped. Carl moved over to his dad, shouting at him to wake up. I stood, tears welling in my eyes as I knew what happened and what needed to be done.

The worst part is that I thought Rick would be the one to conquer the world, the one to beat this hellhole and make things somewhat normal again. As I walked over and hugged Carl who was sobbing into my shoulder, I noticed that Rick was groaning. I pushed Carl back lightly and got my knife out slowly. I cannot believe this is happening right now... Rick's hand began twitching and I began to cry as I edged closer. Carl stayed back, not wanting to experience this.

I curled on the floor and cried as I waited for Rick to get up - I couldn't do it, this is the man that I have loved ever since the world ended, the man that has protected me even though I act like a bitch. Rick's body fell off the sofa and grabbed my boot as Carl sat next to me and cried with me.

Before I thought my life was at the end, Rick began to grumble, almost as if he was speaking. "Carl, Millie." Rick said. I sat up and helped Rick back onto the sofa, wiping at the still falling tears. I covered Rick with a blanket and before I moved away he pulled his arms over me and hugged me. I smiled in relief as Rick was still alive, before pulling away and kissing his forehead, settling back on the floor and falling asleep.

--

I awoke again, only this time it was morning and Rick wasn't on the sofa anymore, I stood and began to look around the house until I found him with Carl and Michonne in the kitchen.

"Michonne!" I exclaimed and smiled as I saw her, Rick was smiling at Carl who had the biggest smile I had seen in a while.

"I was waiting for you to get up." Rick said to me, still watching Carl and Michonne joke around. I smiled and gave him another hug, thankful that he was still here.

"We're gonna head out." Carl said as he left with Michonne down the road. I looked over at Rick and he shrugged.

"Let's get some real rest." I said to rick and dragged him by his hand upstairs to the bedroom, but for actual rest.

"You should buy me dinner first." Rick said, I laughed a little before laying on the bed as Rick climbed in next to me and we fell asleep for the second time.

--

I woke up and was about to yawn until Rick covered my mouth and dragged me under the bed. I looked at him puzzled and he only pointed to the door. I listened and heard some foreign voices outside that I had never heard before. This alarmed me and I began to panic, looking at Rick for a plan. He was going to speak until footsteps came upstairs and a man settled on the bed. I heard snoring a few seconds later and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

We stayed there for what felt like hours until another man came upstairs and woke the guy up which must of pissed him off as he beat the guy to the floor - making us visible to him. He was going to say something but he was knocked out. The guy walked out of the room and Rick signalled that it was time to move out from under the bed.

I warily crouched and hoped that I didn't get spotted. We creeped to the bathroom and shut the door behind us, releasing a sigh of relief until I heard a noise behind me. I slowly turned and saw a man sat on the toilet. I nudged Rick and he strangled him with a belt, the men began to shout a name and we took that as our signal to go.

He opened the window and looked down, pulling himself out of the window and dropping skillfully and stealthily to the floor. I looked down and saw the drop with Rick ushering me down. I jumped down and Rick caught me bridal style for the second time in my life. We began to walk and saw Carl with Michonne, walking toward the house.

We sprinted to them and made them turn around and leave. Something tells me that it wasn't the last we have seen of them guys.

Originally published 8th December 2016