Prince James

To say Prince James had a rough time adjusting during his teenage years would be an understatement. Although not as observant it didn't take Jamie long into his pre-teen years to realise, like his sister, that he was a little bit different from his mates. James was the spare to the heir which meant he was always going to come after his eldest sister, and this only became more apparent the year after his parents' coronation, when they all drove down to Wales for Vicky's investiture as Princess of Wales. 

"It's rather odd." Vicky had said to him as they drove back to London where a small reception awaited the princess at Buckingham Palace. She had said that in reference to all the traditions they followed during the ceremony, but for Jamie it had a different meaning altogether. 

James didn't know what it meant to be the centre of attention because he had never been. All the traditions and protocols were reserved exclusively to the monarch, the monarch's consort and its heir. There wasn't anything written down dictating what should be expected of the spare, nothing. 

His estranged uncle, Harry, had been more than an example when it came time for Jamie to decide what type of spare and brother he would be. His relationship with his sister would always come first because he knew that although her position was one given to her because of her birth right, it didn't meant she wasn't the right person for the job. So he had decided after that incident that he needed to find himself and a cause for him to fight for. 

At first the army was the main and most obvious choice, and Jamie did enjoy his time in the army. However, he never felt fulfilled enough to become a royal representative. So he kept searching. He then remembered something he loved to do during his time at Eton, writing. 

He started with the Booktrust, the closest one he could get at that moment. Then The Wicked Young Writers, followed by The National Literacy Trust. And they all gave Jamie a sense of belonging he had felt so little throughout his 'royal career'. But there was always an eagerness in him that had sprouted during his wonderful years at Eton. 

The Prince started small, with the ones he knew best. "Butterflies in the Rose Garden" was the first book published by Prince James when he was only twenty-seven. It had been inspired by all the great memories he had when he visited his great-grandparents at Windsor Castle. 

The books gave him everything he needed and a place of security where he could be himself and tell the many stories that lived inside his head. The prince soon evolved from children's books to full on novels and series, with many aspects of his works being inspired by his own life experiences, such as his own love story. 

Rebecca Reynolds was a 29-year-old Canadian-American middle school teacher in Toronto, Canada when the prince visited the country during his 33rd birthday. Prince James visited the school Ms Reynolds taught at to view the school's award winning literacy competition. Their romance was a difficult one not only because of the distance but also because of how Reynolds' life situation wasn't accepted by a significant part of the public when the relationship first became public. 

The teacher was a single mother to a five year old daughter, Adelynn, and that fact made a lot of brits angry, both at the young mother and their own prince for his choice of love. But he never let the criticism get too close to him or his love. Spending his summers and winters in Canada with his girlfriend and her daughter their relationship progressed without much of hitch. Becca, as he would often call her, was his everything. She would often be one of the only people he could talk to without feeling afraid of opening up. 

"Becca Elisabeth Reynolds, will you make me the happiest man alive and give me the pleasure of becoming your husband?"

After two years of dating the news of the engagement came with much happiness by their family and friends, but especially by little 7-year-old Adalynn Reynolds, who hugged her future stepfather with tears streaming down her face. 

"I love you, papa." It was the first time she had called Jamie that, or anything other than Jamie for that matter, and then she wasn't the only one with tears spilling out of her eyes. 

The soon-to-be family moved to England officially a few weeks after the engagement and took up residence at Apartment 1 at Kensington Palace. Little Addie was welcomed by the King and Queen as a full-blooded member of their family and second grandchild. 

The wedding was a small and private occasion at St George's Chapel, with almost no media coverage as per request of the couple. 

A few months after the April wedding the Duke of York, the title given to him following his wedding, entered with the official paperwork to adopt Addie, which later came into affect and the girl was officially listed as the adopted and legal daughter of His Royal Highness the Duke of York. 

As time went by, Prince James became more comfortable with his position and, as he was pushed by a few places in the line of succession, he started to focus more on the work he had already been doing for much of his working life and his love for words. 

With permission of his elderly mother the Duke of York wrote his mother's authorised biography. The prince put into paper details of his mother's, and father's, life that had never been told to the public before; needless to say the book became a sensation overnight. The "Amelia Windsor. Queen, Mother, Public servant." put into details aspects of the Queen Mother's life that had never even been known to the public, such as her fight with her own image and postpartum depression; as well as put more depth on other topics of her life. 

By the end of his life Prince James had written over 40 books with topics ranging from children's books to biographies to mystery novels. He felt that his purpose had been fulfilled not only by his work but also by the family he had built. Prince James and Duchess Rebecca had three more children after Addie and whom they named Philip, Anthony and Elizabeth; all of whom learned from a very early age that just because you were born into a privileged position doesn't mean you can't do good and be yourself.

 Prince James and Duchess Rebecca had three more children after Addie and whom they named Philip, Anthony and Elizabeth; all of whom learned from a very early age that just because you were born into a privileged position doesn't mean you can't do...