Contemplations

"Yes, Jamie, mummy is here..."

Another night with almost no sleep, and to add to that the Christening was the next day. The baby, who had just turned 2 months a few days before, was now suffering from colics, which kept either his mum or his dad, but mostly his mum since she had to feed him, awake at night.

And after so much trouble putting the christening together the only thing Amelia wanted was for everyone to have a good day and baby James to not cry during the service, that was what she wanted anyways.

- - -

"How is baby James?" Catherine asked, cooing over the asleep baby on his nervous mother's arms.

"Now he is fine, but he kept me awake almost all night."

"I'm sorry, I know how hard that is, George was just like that. I remember his first night with us when we were still in hospital. I've never seen a baby cry so much."

The Duchess of Cambridge was aware of the situation between her fellow Duchess and her brother-in-law, and even if she didn't it would have been impossible not to notice that something was amiss during Charlotte's christening, where the Duke and Duchess didn't exchange a word. 

"How is my grandson?"

"Very well, Charles."

"Good, Camilla and I are the next ones to leave, after Catherine and William. You two will go last."

"Yes."

Amelia and James were left alone in the entry hall of the castle, while the Duke helped Vicky in the potty. The Queen and Prince Philip were the last ones before the family to leave, while Nanny Harriet was one of the first, leaving with the rest of the staff that would be attending the ceremony.

Victoria was sat in between her father and mother, holding to her mother's cream dress. The family was all in matching colours, while Amelia and Victoria were wearing cream dresses the little princess' hair was tied to the side with a pretty light blue, that matched her shoes and her father's tie, while Amelia and James were dressed in all cream.

The hundreds of people outside the chapel all screamed when the family arrived, and they waved at the steps of the chapel, looking every bit the perfect family. Little Victoria, still a little camera shy, was holding her father's hand while both her parents waved to the crowds.

"How are you?" The Archbishop asked, smiling at mother and baby, who was still very much asleep.

"Very happy, just hope this little baby doesn't start screaming in a few minutes."

The Duke and Duchess greeted their family and friends outside the chapel, and the photographers went crazy when the Queen was seen holding hands with her great-granddaughter, who waited next to the Queen, Duke and Archbishop while all the guests made their way inside.

After the ceremony, the family gathered outside where, before the Queen and the Duke left by car, the Clarences would lead the procession back to Sandringham, where the Queen would be hosting an afternoon tea.

The photos were taken by an official photographer on the same room where Charlotte's photos were taken but on a different wall; the couple did release a second and third picture, one only of the family of four, with Victoria between her parents and her brother on his father's arms, and another only of the siblings, where Victoria was holding her brother in her arms. The Godparents were officially confirmed a few minutes after the photographs were released, via a statement by Kensington Palace.

- - -

Tea had been served at the sitting room of the Cambridges country home, and while the children played outside the mothers chatted inside.

"Will you and Wills be going to Balmoral?" 

"Yes, before we leave to visit my parents. You?"

"We were supposed to, but now I am not sure." 

"Millie..." The Duchess of Cambridge had seen this before, the stress of a royal life had strained her friends' relationship. 

"He doesn't understand, Katie, he says he understand, but he doesn't. I am exhausted every single day, so much that I can barely concentrate on anything." The Duchess leaves her tea at the coffee table and rests her back on the back of the sofa. "I'm tired, I don't want to fight." 

The Duchess feels her throat tighten, and a single tear scrolls down her cheek. Every couple had their fights, and the Duke and Duchess of Clarence were no exception. They fought, mostly when they were both stressed and under pressure, but they always made up afterwards, and everything went back to normal. But this time... This time was different. Of all their fights this was the one where neither one of them knew how it would end. 

"Maybe you should tell him, Millie. I am sure he is feeling the same way." 

Maybe...

"Maybe we needed this time apart. To contemplate if this relationship, this marriage is really worth it."