Change of plans

After spending the summer with her family The Duchess of Clarence was seen arriving with her team at Heathrow Airport, where she will embark to her first African destination.

This is the Duchess's first tour without her husband and her first visit to Africa alone.

- - -

"...I am honoured to have had the chance to meet and see the wonderful people and professionals who give their all for the children, children who are being shaped to become the best they can be, and who will one day influence other children. Thank you."

Amelia smiled for a few photos and shook hands with the event's organisers before being accompanied out, to a waiting car, by the director of the charity. As they said their goodbyes and the director wished her safe travels the Duchess's private secretary steps in and says that they had to leave.

The Duchess knew how everyone back in Britain was rushing to put the final details on everything before the end of the month when the King and Queen would arrive.

"The Queen would like to know if you could make a stopover." Josie says as the car drives back to the hotel where I would be making an outfit change so that we could go directly to the airport.

"Where?"

"The Netherlands. You would be meeting a few charities, all linked to the topics you support, and then you would be having tea with the Dutch Royal Family."

"And when would that be?"

"Tomorrow. We arrive during the late afternoon in Amsterdam, we sleep there, tomorrow during the morning and early afternoon we have engagements, and then closer to five you have tea with Their Majesties King Willem-Alexander, Queen Maxima, and their daughters Their Royal Highnesses the Princess of Orange, Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane."

"I assume you've already agreed and the aeroplane isn't really going back to Heathrow."

"I'm sorry, Amelia."

The Duchess took a deep breath as the doors of her hotel were opened. She just wanted to see her babies. She knew duty had to come first, and it's always going to come first, but after more than two weeks away from them the only thing she wanted now was to hug them as tight as she, and they, physically could.

Another deep breath and the lift doors closed, going up to the fourteenth floor where the Duchess's room was located as well as her team's. After a quick shower and a change of clothes everyone on the Duchess's team were off to the airport where they would be embarking on their sixteen hour journey to Amsterdam, where they would meet the King and the Royal Family.

- - -

"Amelia!"

I curtsy to King Willem-Alexander, while he shakes my hand and then, after I get up, kisses my cheeks.

"It is a pleasure to meet you again, Your Majesty."

"Please call me Willem, Amelia. You remember my wife, Maxima."

"Yes of course I do. How do you do, Your Majesty?" I curtsy to the Queen and kiss both her cheeks, before the King points to his three daughters.

"And of course, Amalia, Alexia and Ariane."

"Your Royal Highnesses."

The King guides me through his home to the drawing room where a butler was serving our tea. Small talk and business talk was carried for most of the meeting, however by the time Amelia noticed she would have to leave soon to catch her aeroplane home, Maxima sat down next to her, extending a plate of biscuits.

"So, how are you feeling? You've been away from your children for a long time."

"I am tired, but the only thing I wanna do right now is be with them, and hug them."

"I understand, it is the worst feeling when you have to say goodbye to your children, even if you are leaving for only a few days."

"I know they are okay, and they have their father, and my mother, and of course Harriet."

"And, if you don't mind me asking, think you'll be having any more? I only have three, I am very happy with only three, but would you like to have more?"

"I don't know, Georgie always said he wanted a big family, and we said that if we had another one after Mary or not we would be happy either way."

"And do you think George would like another one?"

"He definitely would." I say laughing, but getting up at the same time as the King, holding to my handbag.

"It was a pleasure seeing you again, Amelia."

"I can say the same thing, Willem. And we will be seeing each other again in just a few weeks."

"We will."

We say our goodbyes and I am off once again to the airport, where now I would get in the airplane to finally go back home.