Food for Thought

"Where is Amelia?" 

The petite, old woman walked into the room, making the Duke get up and bow his head, hurrying to kiss the lady's cheeks. 

"Granny." 

"Where is your wife, George?" 

"We... Uhm..." He didn't know how to put it in a way his grandmother would understand, and in a certain way, even he didn't understand what was happening between him and his wife. 

"I have been reading the newspapers George, and I am quite aware of what is being said about you in the press these days." 

Of course she knew... 

"Does one need to ask you to explain?"

"Nothing... It is all..." The Duke took a deep breath, trying to put his thoughts in order. "After Jamie was born everything became... Harder. Painful. Confusing. And with the reports, the media scrutiny over us, I guess Amelia... I guess our relationship snapped." 

"And you let that happen?" 

"I... At the time I thought it was better to give us some space, for us to understand the situation and to... Review our situation and if its worth it." 

"George, I am not saying this as The Queen, but as your grandmother. Only you know how much your wife sacrificed for you and your love, how much she still does, how much pressure she is constantly under, to be a good mother, a good wife, and good royal. Being constantly compared to your mother, and Catherine, and me." 

The Duke felt his hands cold, he couldn't look over at his grandmother, he couldn't force himself to face her, because... She was right, and he knew it.

"Maybe it is time that you make a few sacrifices for her too."

- - -

The Duke was looking over the entrance of their home in Norfolk, where his wife was with their children, the people he loved most in this world. 

The car moved swiftly across the driveway and stops at the main door, forcing the Duke to abandon the comfort of the lonely car and finally face his fear and hopefully he would have the chance to say what he should have said days ago. 

"Welcome back, sir." Isaac, the Clarences Norfolk butler and helper around the house, greets his boss, taking the single bag from his employer's hand. 

"Where are my children?" 

"Princess Victoria is visiting the city with Miss Harriet. Prince James is in his nursery. Her Royal Highness is in the garden room, she asked not to be disturbed." 

"Thank you Isaac." 

The Duke was not in a hurry to get to garden room, on the contrary, he took the longest route to the kitchen, near where the garden room was located.  

It was still sunny outside, the afternoon had just began, and so the kitchen doors to the garden were open as well as the windows, letting a cool breeze dance around the room. 

Like Isaac had said his wife was in the garden room, sitting on the the family's kitchen table and eating something that smelled delicious.

"Can I ask what are you eating?" 

The Duchess jumped on her seat, startled, looking over at her husband noticing now how long had it been since they were in the same room alone. 

"Thought I wouldn't be seeing you, at least not here." She chews another bite of whatever she had prepared and looks over at where her husband was standing. "Wills told me you visited your grandmother, you could have taken the children. Vicky would have loved to see her great-grandmother."

"I'll take them next time, all of them." A weird noise comes out of the Duchess mouth but the Duke ignores it, hurrying to sit in front of his wife. 

"She advised you that is best if we separate? Don't see how that would help on your image, but still." 

She was running away, almost afraid to face her husband, of what could come out of his mouth next. 

"No, on the contrary." The Duke follows his wife to the kitchen sink, where the Duchess started washing the dishes from her and Victoria's lunch. "Amelia, Bee, I'm sorry. You don't know how sorry I am, I should have never said any of the things I said. But... I was angry, and tired, and stressed."

"And I wasn't George? My pregnancy wasn't the easiest on me, and you should know how difficult it is for a mother with a newborn. Gosh, George! You could have helped, you know? Instead of just throwing at me that I have not given my daughter the full attention she deserves."

The Duchess takes a deep breath, putting the dishes to dry on the side of the sink while turning away from her husband. 

"Bee, I'm..."

"I love you, George, almost as much as I love our children. I would do anything for any of you. The only thing I ask of you... The only thing I ask of you is for you to be there when I need it too."