Parties and Interviews

The Duke and Duchess of Clarence accompanied by their two children, Princess Victoria, 4, and Prince James, 16 months, seemed the picture-perfect family as they stepped out of the aeroplane to greet the Governor-General of Canada, Prime Minister of Canada and Premier of British Columbia, as well as their respective partners and the Premier's son.

The family will be staying at Government House, where, in a few days, a Military Children's Party will be held, to which Princess Victoria and Prince James will be accompanied by their parents.

- - -

"Do you want to see the pony, Vicky?" Amelia asked, holding her daughter's hand, who seemed paralysed by the sight of the small horse.

"Yes!" The princess screamed, running towards the horse, dragging her mother behind her, who could not hide her laughter.

"We have to wait our turn, Vicky." The duchess said, kneeling down next to her daughter, who paid close attention to all the movements the child on the horse was making.

While the girls of the family waited their turn at the pony, George was following and trying to greet as many people he could while still keeping an eye on the running toddler, who, after a while, seemed very interested in the balloons that decorated the gardens.

"Ba-Ba!" The toddler said, followed by a scream which made the people around him laugh, including his father.

- - -

Following yesterday's very successful garden party where the Duke and Duchess presented their children to Canada, today the Duke and Duchess will separate. The Duke will visit five of his charities here in BC while the Duchess will visit two museums and two charities.

As a surprise engagement for The Duchess of Clarence, Her Royal Highness made a quick stop at a radio station, where a mom-lifestyle radio program is recorded. Her Royal Highness gave the hosts, Heidi Clark and Stephanie Acosta, a fifteen minutes exclusive interview, which will be aired here in Canada and the USA tomorrow morning.

- - -

"Your Royal Highness, please let me just say what an honour it is to have you here today."

"Thank you, I am very happy to be here."

"Let us just start with a very simple question. How are you feeling? Being here, touring Canada with your children, which I must say are adorable." Heidi Clark asks, making Amelia and Stephanie laugh at her comment.

"I am very happy to be able to come back here, to Canada. George and I came here for our first tour, a year after our wedding, and we just felt so welcomed and a part of this beautiful community. And thank you, I am sure George will be most happy to hear your compliment on our children."

"And how are your children feeling? I mean, it must be strange to walk out of a plane and see a sea of cameras and photographers."

"I think that for any child it would be distracting and strange to have a camera's flash on their face, but we do try to stay calm, and this way our children will be relaxed. George and I believe that as long as you as a parent treat your child normally this situation won't affect them as much."

"How does Your Royal Highness feel now being a mother of 2, and being a working member of the biggest family firm in the world?"

"It is hard sometimes, as it would for any mother with two young children. But I think that everything that I went through privately, things the media doesn't even begin to imagine, just made me even more grateful than I was before I had Vicky and Jamie. And so I try to cherish and spend as much time as I can with both of them."

"It must be hard having the world's media judging your every move and choice while going through something that is hurting you privately. I mean I can't even begin to imagine what you went through, and our level of presence in the media does not compare to the Royal Family. But I can say that I would not be able to cope with grief and pain while with a smile on my face."

Amelia felt a lump in her throat. She had learned to keep her emotions to herself, when she was alone, out of the public view. But being back in Canada, now with the children she had prayed for, it all just came back.

"Yes, but you get used to it fairly quickly, and I love the work Her Majesty and all the members of the Royal Family do, helping people all over the Commonwealth and the world, helping change it for the better."

"And does Princess Victoria and Prince James know their place in this family firm yet?"

"No, we want to give them the most normal childhood and then teenagehood we can, of course, adapted to the Family's needs and responsibilities. So no, George only found out his place in the family when he was thirteen, during his first year at Eton I believe, so till then, and until we think they are ready, they will not know."

"And do you and Prince George plan on having more children?"

"We have talked about it, I would be lying if I said we didn't, but maybe not yet. James is still young and we want to enjoy the early years of him being a toddler and all of his achievements and milestones. And with Victoria having started school this September and Jamie in the next, maybe not just yet."

"How is everyday life? How is being a working mum, wife, Duchess and also being on call 24/7 for the Royal Family?"

"It can be chaotic." Amelia says, laughing. "But we do make it work. For example, I normally take Victoria to school in the mornings, and George goes straight to our offices, while we try, sometimes with James, to collect her at the end of the school day. Sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes either I have something scheduled or George, or both, and then sometimes their Nanny has to step in and go collect her. Which she already stated she likes when that happens because they normally go to a park or museum afterwards, so."

"And how is The Queen and Prince Philip as great-grandparents?"

"They are truly wonderful, Elizabeth always gives the most wonderful gifts to the children for every occasion. And she is very present, as much as The Queen can be. She gets reports every month from all of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren, to know how everyone is, if they need anything. Family celebrations are always the best. And Philip is the most caring and lovely great-grandpapa, as Victoria would say, and she loves that she was born on his birthday."

"It was reported in June that Queen Elizabeth did a birthday party for her husband and great-granddaughter at Buckingham Palace, after the Thanksgiving Service, which you attended."

"Oh yes, yes it was a beautiful occasion."

"Okay, last question, what is your favourite thing to do with your children and husband?"

"Walk outside, on the grounds of Kensington Palace or Anmer. Being able to take in the fresh air and just be with the people I love most in this world."

"Thank you for coming here today, Ma'am, it was truly an honour."

"Thank you, I absolutely loved the experience."