Moments

The family arrived at Sandringham on the twenty-third, after James had a fever and the family was unable to travel on the previous day. The family left the responsibility to put the Christmas decorations up for Christmas Eve, during the morning and before they left for Sandringham House.

While George helped Jamie open his presents and Victoria was playing with her cousins, Amelia was seated with her husband's cousins, all drinking tea.

"I saw on the telly yesterday that there are bets for when you and Katie are going to announce your pregnancies." Eugenie says, playfully smiling at her cousin-in-law.

"Not so soon, at least not for me, I don't know about Katie."

"Anne told me, Charles, you and George have met Harry's infamous new girlfriend." Autumn says, too excited.

"We have, yes."

"And?" Beatrice asks, waiting to know more on the matter.

"She... Seems nice. I don't know her personally."

"Yes, but how was she? When did you meet her?" This time Autumn interrupted, clearly interested in the family gossip. 

"Over dinner, at our house, a formal dinner upon Harry's request."

"No, he did not!" Zara exclaims, putting her hand over her mouth to hide her smile, and Amelia knew she found that whole situation very entertaining. Amelia didn't blame her cousin-in-law though, she would too if she wasn't so deeply connected to it all.

"Yes, he did. She is an American actress."

"I searched her on google, she played someone on Suits." Beatrice says, after taking a sip of her tea.

"Oh, I watched two episodes of this series, didn't like it much, but that is my opinion anyways." Zara says, somewhat interrupting her cousin who listens carefully.

"I assume he is going to present her to the family in a few months, George even said they were very serious, to the point of engagement."

"So soon?" Autumn asks, clearly surprised Harry would jump into marriage so soon after meeting his girlfriend, something neither George or Peter did when they were dating their respective partners. 

"Who knows what goes on inside his mind." Zara says, and everyone agrees. No one, not even the palace, knew what Harry would do next.

- - -

After a quick adjustment on Victoria's coat, the family positioned themselves behind Autumn and Savannah, and in front of Harry and Eugenie. Least to say the public outside St. Mary's Church was ecstatic when the family of three crossed the Sandringham gates.

Victoria was holding tight to her mother's hand and when they waited on the steps of the Church for the Queen's departure.

During the walkabout once again Amelia was the last one to walk through Sangringham's gates, but this time she had a companion, who refused to leave her mother's side.

Little Victoria hugged people, shook hands and accepted presents as well as flowers, to which she just handed them over to her mother. Amelia always tried to meet and thank the majority of people before one of the protection officers came over and respectfully asked her to go back to Sandringham House.

This year she left with an arm full of flowers and a hand with cards and letters, as well as her daughter still tightly secured to her other hand, and even though the sun was coming out from behind the clouds it was getting colder. After their arrival at the House, the Clarence's drove back to Anmer Hall, where Nanny Harriet and James were waiting for their arrival. Victoria took a nap, after telling her parents how tired she was the whole ride back to their home, while Amelia and George finished getting the children's Christmas present ready as well as themselves before the family would need to drive back to Sandringham for the Christmas lunch. 

- - -

"When are Grandma and Grandpa coming, mummy?" Victoria asked from where she was colouring at the kitchen table while Amelia finished their Christmas dinner.

"They should be arriving tomorrow, sweet."

"Why aren't they here, mummy?"

"Because they spend Christmas somewhere else, and New Years with us."

"Why?"

"Because it has been like that since before you were even born, sweet." The Duchess took a deep breath and looked once again at her daughter. "Do you want to help mummy decorate the cake?"

"Yes!"

- - -

"How was Christmas, mum?"

"Fine enough, but I must say spending Christmas at an empty house after spending it with your grandchildren is... Strange."

There was an awkward silence before Amelia found the courage to finally ask her mother what she needed to know.

"Mum, do you think you could talk to Dominik for me? I don't even have his number anymore."

"Is there a particular topic you would want to talk to him about?"

"Yes, actually. Victoria asked me a few days ago why grandpa and grandma didn't spend Christmas with us, and I couldn't explain to her why you weren't here."

"She is a very clever girl for her age. Do you want me to ask him to call you?"

"I don't think he would agree to that, mum, but you could try and maybe convince him on visiting us."

"I will try, Millie. But don't you worry about your brother, you have your own children to worry about."

- - -

Only eight days after the New Year the family made their way back to London, where on the eleventh Victoria would be back at school. The school had been very understanding of the princess' need to accompany her family both during the Canada tour and when they stayed October at Anmer, sending all the work and exercises she was missing so that she could do them at home.

The first two months of the year were always slower paced since most people were still on holiday, so both the Duke and Duchess' agendas were less packed than usual, which meant they had more time to spend with their children, and of course with each other.

For Victoria's five days off school during the month of February, the family decided to stay in London and visit some new places as a family; they also did more activities inside Kensington Palace's premises, like taking care of their vegetable garden. The discussions of where little prince Jamie would attend nursery began after the news that Victoria's school had a nursery located on the same building came to light.

March came around with all major events for the royal family starting again, with the first ones being Commonwealth Day and St. Patrick's Day. However, after Easter and St. George's Day, where Amelia attended the National Parade of the Queen's Scouts for the second time, some things started changing.