Happiness

The old clock on the Duke and Duchess' room ticked off another minute, the third since Amelia arrived into the room.

She had nothing to worry about, right? They were not trying, and this was just a... Precaution.

"How long will this take?"

After two more minutes, the clock announced the end of the waiting game and Amelia finally took the small plastic stick from her dresser, the two red lines, darker than she imagined, looking straight back at her.

"No way..."

Her mind went numb for the next few seconds, where she was still trying to understand what had just happened and what she should do now. Her husband was home, working in his office, a similar place where Amelia should be right now since James was with Nanny Harriet and Victoria was at school, which meant that this time was perfect for doing the work that needed to be done.

Then, without even thinking twice, Amelia walked out of her bedroom; almost running down the stairs and into her husband's study, with the pregnancy test in hands and her mind still trying to comprehend what had just happened.

"Georgie, sweetheart, are you busy?"

"No, come in, Bee."

The Duke's desk was filled with papers, of all sorts, and he was reading something on his computer, very stern-faced. But the moment his eyes reached his wife's figure his expression softened and a small smile appeared on the corner of his lips.

"Is something wrong, Bee?"

"No, no. Well, I need to show you something." She cautiously walks towards her husband, standing in front of him with his desk between them.

The Duke's face seemed to be a mixture of nervousness, stress and curiosity, and very gently Amelia lays the pregnancy test in front of her husband. She watches as his facial expressions go from confused to pure happiness in the span of five seconds, and after that, her husband jumps from his seat, striding over to hug and kiss his wife.

"Are you serious?"

"Yes, very much so."

"When did you find out?"

"Not even five minutes ago."

"Oh my God, Bee, I love you so much."

- - -

"Your Royal Highness seems to be around thirteen weeks along, the baby looks great; your blood pressure is normal, the baby's heartbeat is just wonderful."

"Thank God. Do we know when this little one will arrive?"

"I can not say an exact date at this point and time, but, by your description and my calculations, I would say any time in October."

"Thank you, Dr. Martin."

The couple was all smiles as walked out of the doctor's office. George his his arm around Amelia's waist while the Duchess did the same with her husband; inside her bag were the first photographs they had of their new baby, photographs that the couple would treasure and keep with the rest of the many important milestones they had gone through during their marriage.

- - -

"What a wonderful visit from both of you."

"How do you do, Granny?"

"Elizabeth, you look wonderful."

The three sit at the sofa on the Queen's study since they visited her during the day.

"We have news."

"Good news, I hope."

"Yes, wonderful. Amelia is expecting."

"Oh but that is marvellous, isn't it? Congratulations, dear. How far along are you?"

"Thirteen weeks, we went to the doctor yesterday morning, and I found out the day before."

"That is wonderful news, my dear, truly. When would you like to announce it?"

"I think as soon as possible before the bump gets too big."

"Would you like to release a photograph with the announcement?"

"I think we can use the same we released for the Canada Tour."

"Very well, I think we can announce it before the end of the month. How does the 27 sound? I will talk to my private secretary, and he will talk to yours."

"Thank you, Granny."

- - -

"Where can I find my granddaughter?"

"Grandma!" The little princess jumps out of her seat, running to hug her grandmother, who kneels down to take her granddaughter into her arms.

"Vicky, can you please go call daddy for me?"

"Yes, mummy."

"And how is my grandson?" Mrs. Saunders asks, taking his grandson from his highchair and seating down in front of the Duchess, who was finishing her own afternoon tea and biscuits.

"He is very well, aren't you Jamie? Growing stronger and taller by the day."

"Dorothy!"

"George, how are you?" A quick kiss on both cheeks for the mother-in-law, and a kiss on the lips for his wife, and after being in the room for no more than two minutes his son wanted to be picked up.

"Sweetheart, can you take the children to play outside?"

It took a while for the Duke to understand what his wife really meant when she asked for him to take the children, but once he did the three left for the gardens, where the family normally spent most of their time during the afternoon anyways.

"Is something wrong, Millie?"

"No, nothing is wrong. But I do need to tell you something." The smile of Amelia's face grew bigger with each second, and the butterflies in her stomach became present. "I'm expecting."

"I am going to be a grandmother of three?"

"Yes, you are, mummy!"

"Oh, sweetheart, I am so proud of you."

Both mother and daughter were already crying when they got up to hug each other.

"Did you tell Vicky and Jamie?"

"No, not yet. We want to tell Victoria a few days before my 14 weeks scan, so she can come with us, and for Jamie we will probably wait a few more weeks."

"I am so proud of you, sweetheart. I can not believe I am going to be a grandmother of three!"