A Stroke of Luck

Searching for a studio had been harder than the band anticipated. Two months after the university/pub tour and they still haven't found a studio, the ones they've looked at are either too small, too expensive or both.

With Alice in need of a haircut and Roger is currently sat reading a magazine, waiting for her to finish, "Look, Dada?" Alice jumps down from the chair to show him.

"Beautiful, we can see those pretty eyes again," He pays the hairdresser then Alice slips her small hand into his as they leave the salon.

They were walking down the street towards where Roger parked the van, Alice suddenly stops her hand slipping out of his, "Come on, Monkey."

"Look," She points to the building she's stopped in front of her.

Roger looks at the sign above the door, "Warner Bros. De Lane Lea Studios, I've not seen this one before looks fairly new." With a spring in his step, he holds the door open for Alice and steps inside after her.

Talking to the studio owner they're given a tour of the studio before talking money, they're offered a discounted rate for the studio if they recorded late evenings and during the night.

Leaving the studio, Roger picks up his daughter, kissing her cheek, "Alice, you must be Queen's lucky charm."

Before getting in the van, he rings Brian then John from the nearest phone box telling them to meet at Freddie's flat for a band meeting.

Bursting through the door to Freddie's flat Alice runs in first, "Where's Jerry?"

"And hello to you too. Nice hair, he's on the bed lovie," Freddie grins pointing to the tabby cat and she flies over to the sleeping kitty, pulling out the cat toy she keeps in her backpack.

"You need to get that poor girl a pet." Chuckling John watches Alice play with her favourite cat, "Now what's with the emergency band meeting?"

"I've found us a studio. Actually, Alice found it, she saw the sign."

Brian sits forward in his seat as eager to find a studio as the others, "Did you go and have a look?"

"Yes they gave us a tour, the space is big enough, the tech is very modern and they can give us a discount if we record late evenings and at night."

"Then sell your van blondie because we are recording an album," Freddie stalks over to the bed kissing Alice's cheek, "You are a very clever little girl."

------

"Uncle Deaky!" Alice calls to the long-haired bassist walking up ahead of them. They are on their way to the studio, Alice having a piggyback ride on Brian's back.

John turns to the trio, eyebrow raised, "Wow, you getting good with that voice, missy." He waits for them to catch up and walks with them.

"I think I've gone deaf," Brian's mutters left ear ringing from Alice's shout right next to his ear.

"Sorry," She apologises hugging his neck and kissing his cheek making him smile.

Arriving at the studio, Freddie and Mary are already there, "Aunt Mary," Alice reaches out for her. Mary takes the girl happily.

"Hello sweety, I like the new haircut and your shoes," Mary notes the sparkly pink converse on her feet.

"Tank you, I match daddy. How's Jerry?" Roger ruffles Alice's hair as he passes the pair, joining his band members to hand over the money.

"Oh missing you of course..."

"You really need to get that girl a pet," Freddie echos John's words earlier in the week, walking beside Roger into the studio.

"I know and I'd happily get her a pet but I can't afford the insurance, I can barely afford to pay rent, bills and food. That's with Brian paying half of it, once we're actually earning something from these albums then I'll gladly get her a pet." The drummer sighs, he'd love nothing more than to get Alice a pet, it would be good for her but he just can't afford to at the moment.

They leave the conversation there and get to work. They continuously duck in and out of the recording booth, sometimes all of them together and sometimes separately. At one point Alice is stood on John's legs, hands pressed against the window watching for dad play.

Roger smirks when he sees her watching through the window, sticking out his tongue playfully. He feels himself playing with even more passion when he knows she is watching like he doesn't want to mess up in front of her.

For one of the songs, Alice sat on Roger's back playing the tambourine.

After a few hours they take a break but John hangs back sitting on the amp in the recording booth, Alice toddles into the room to keep him company.

Climbing onto his back feet on amp Alice leans against him in a piggyback style. A toothy grin on his face he looks at her out the corner of his eye, "Can I help you?"

"Cuddles," She hugs him yawning.

He knows it's way past her bedtime and that's why she's being cuddly but he takes the hug anyway, "Are you hungry?" She nods against his shoulder, "Come on then," He takes his bass off, setting it on the stand and carries her down the hall on his back.

Finding the vending machine she points out what she'd like and he pays for it, they get back to the studio and he sits her on the sofa next to Mary so she can eat quietly.

Roger came back to the studio not long after while Freddie and Brian nip to the nearest 24-hour shop for some food. Alice slips off the sofa and follows her dad into the recording booth, "Oh hello," He chuckles when she tugs at his trouser leg.

Scooping her up he kisses her chubby cheeks, "I'm sorry. I've not been paying you much attention, have I? Come on, let's have your first lesson," He sits behind the drums kit putting the sticks in her hands and helps her create an easy but steady rhythm.

The lesson didn't last long as her face scrunches up in the biggest yawn, "I think it's bedtime for you," He checks his watch, "Yep, way past your bedtime."

Going back to the sound booth he sits on the sofa, Alice lay on his chest, blanket around her body and bunny under her arm as she falls asleep, "You really are so good with her," Mary smiles sat next to them.

"She's an easy little girl to look after despite her ruff start in life." Roger never thought he'd have children despite wanting them, so to have Alice here now, he feels very lucky.

They look after each other, he takes care of her the best he can but Alice has changed his lifestyle. He doesn't sleep around as much as he did, he doesn't smoke as much as and his mood is brighter.

"I heard Freddie saying about getting her a pet?"

"She wants a dog really. After meeting my mum's dog, Pippin they were inseparable. Unfortunately, I can't afford a dog at the moment, the flat would be too small, we have no garden and what happens when we go on tour? The poor dog would have to go in a kennel."

"Well, I could help when you go on tour and have the dog but I can't help with the other things. Freddie also mentioned you might have a problem when she needs to start school and you're on tour, I'm happy to look after her when your not here if that would be a help?" She won't be able to join them much if they go on tour because of her work but to have Alice's company would be a pleasure.

"I appreciate that, thank you. I'll keep it in mind," He doesn't know what the future holds but that might be his only opinion. He doesn't want Alice to be homeschooled, he wants her to go to school, make friends and have as normal a life as possible.

So guys are you enjoying this book so far?

I feel like I've lost a few readers over the last few chapters. Is it because this book is boring or because my updates aren't as frequent?