Diagnosis

Brian, John and Freddie wait around for word from the hospital. None of them got much sleep during the night and they can't concentrate in the studio so they wait in the house.

Freddie couldn't sit still waiting for an answer so he's taken Biscuit for a walk, the poor dog has been pining for Alice all night.

John is wondering about the house, finding anything that needs fixing. Brian is attempting to read the newspaper but is mostly staring into space.

The pair look up when the door opens but it's only Freddie coming back with Biscuit and Paul is just behind him, "Why aren't you guys in the studio? And where's Roger?"

To keep himself from punching the Irishman in the face, Brian beckons Biscuit over and the dog lays on the sofa beside him falling straight to sleep, exhausted from pacing all night.

"Alice was taken to hospital last night and Roger went with her, of course. He is her dad," John snaps, "She is more important than an..." Freddie silently tells the bassist to stop, taking over himself.

"Paul, darling, we're all too worried about Alice to be in the studio. None of us can concentrate until we have news and we'd end up pissing each other off if we tried. We'll be back in the studio soon."

Paul wants to keep in Freddie's good graces so grits his teeth, "Of course. Let's hope we hear news soon."

He leaves the room, Brian and John share a look of anger. They'd liked Paul when he first started but lately, he always seems to be in Freddie's pocket and he's cold towards Alice, something that will never sit well with them. Alice is really a daughter to them all.

The three settle back down waiting, Brian's given up on the paper fussing Biscuit instead. John is fixing a handle on a cupboard and Freddie is filling in the crossword from the newspaper.

Finally, the door opens and Roger steps inside, Alice asleep on his shoulder. The first thing the boys notice is Roger's red eyes, "What did they say, lovie?" Freddie chucks the paper on the coffee table.

"Give me a moment," Roger whispers, carrying Alice upstairs Biscuit is on his heels in a heartbeat. He settles his daughter under the covers, tucking bunny in next to her and Biscuit lays beside her, "You watch over her buddy and come get me if she needs me, yeah?"

The retriever puts his paw over Alice's hand as if to confirm he knows his orders, "Good boy," Roger wipes his eyes going back down to join his bandmates.

"So?" John pushes desperate to know. It's unusual for Roger to show that he's been crying so it's an alarm bell in all of them.

Roger doesn't know where to start, he thinks back to his conversation with the doctor at the hospital.

------

"Mr Taylor," The male doctor calls him from the relative's room and takes him to his office. That tells Roger it's not good news, "I'm Doctor Jameson and I've been looking after your daughter. Please take a seat."

He does as he's told but sighs, "Please just cut to the chase, is Alice alright?"

"Your daughter's case is an ongoing one, I'm afraid. Your down here from London, correct?"

"Yes for work, what's that got to do with this?"

"Well I'm referring her to see a specialist and I want to make sure it's in the area you live in so you don't have to travel for miles. When do you go back?"

"Right, sorry. Um... not until the end of the week, but if it needs to be sooner we can make it back for the day after tomorrow." His daughters healthy is more important than the album.