Big Sister

25th December 1979

Alice knew something was going on when Roger got home from the Crazy Tour and started being very loving and doting towards Dominique. He scolded Alice and Biscuit when they jumped onto the bed that morning, shouting it's Christmas.

Dominique proceeded to scold Roger for doing so, they don't know what's going on and that they need to be careful around her.

After father and daughter both apologised to each other, they go downstairs to open presents. They save Alice's biggest present till last.

Wrapping the paper off, Alice finds a t-shirt that says big sister on it, "What does it say?" Roger smiles waiting for her reaction.

"It says big sister," She looks at them confused. Biscuit decides to put his head on her shoulder sniffing the top.

"You're going to be a big sister," Roger helps her out

"Huh?" She's still confused.

"You're getting a little brother or sister."

"I'm having a baby," Dominique adds, trying to help her understand.

At the age of 9, Alice is a bright girl and has matured quickly so they thought she would understand, "Oh no, I understand, your pregnant. That's great, I get a little brother or sister," She tries to sound excited, putting on a fake smile.

The grin on Roger and Dominique's faces fall and they share a look of concern, "I'm going to go get changed, everyone will be here for 12," She disappears upstairs.

Roger gets up to go after her but Dominique stops him, "Roger, leave her. Give her some time to think."

While cooking the dinner, Roger thinks about Alice's behaviour, "I thought she'd be excited," He mutters to Dominique as she gets the cutlery for the table, his voice is filled with disappointment.

He and Alice have always talked to each other and been on the same page, he doesn't like not knowing what's going on in her head.

Dominique squeezes his shoulder, kissing the back of his neck, "She's been an only child and had your undivided attention for nine years, it's bound to be a shock. I want her to be excited about being a big sister but we can't push her or she'll resent the idea."

"Do you think I should get one of the others to talk to her?"

"Maybe Brian or John, she doesn't seem to get on with Freddie as well as she used to," She mutters, remembering how Alice didn't interact much with the singer when they picked Roger up from the airport.

"That's not Alice's fault." Roger grabs the salt out of the cupboard, pouring a little in the potatoes, "Paul is to blame there, he's really cold towards her and she's scared of him. The guy's a prick and he's turning Freddie into a cold-hearted prick too."

"Roger," Dominique scolds, going back to the table ears still listening.

"What?! It's the truth." He raises his voice slightly so she can hear him, "I don't trust Paul and neither do the others, I swear if he ever hurt her or touches her, his head will be up his ass and I'll throw him off the top of the empire state building."

"You might have a problem getting through customs with that one," She giggles, coming back and wrapping her arms around his waist. She doesn't like Paul either, never has and she wouldn't mind pushing him off a cliff.

Roger smirks, laughing, "Maybe not the empire state building then but certainly off a cliff." She goes back to setting the rest of the table and Roger concentrates on the dinner for now.