Treatment Plan

Going forward, I apologise if any of my medical information is wrong, I'm going off what I can find on the internet and from watching Casualty.

Roger is amazed at how brave his daughter is, she took the tests in her stride. If she was scared she didn't show it, she did as she was told and stayed still when needed.

Alice came back from her CT scan an hour ago and is asleep on the bed, they're waiting for Melrose to come and give them a run-through of what they've found.

She comes in folder in hand and shuts the door, "I have good news and bad news. The good news is the tumour is treatable and it's only in the one kidney however, the bad news is treatment will need to be slightly more aggressive since it's more advance than first suggested."

Sighing, Roger relaxes a little, at least it's treatable, "Okay, so what's the plan."

"So the tumour is stage 2, medium risk. That means it's spread to the surrounding tissue around the kidney but not far enough to reach any other vital organs. The plan moving forward is 4 weeks of chemo to shrink the tumour before surgery to remove the tumour and kidney, then a further 28 weeks of chemo to destroy all the remaining cancer cells. The number of weeks after could change after the surgery depending on how much is removed, the 28 weeks is just a ruff number for the moment."

If he's calculated it correctly and assuming they start treatment next week, it's will be the beginning of October for her surgery and mid-April next year when chemo ends. It's going to be a very long process but if it gives her the rest of her life it's worth it, "Will they be able to remove all of the tumour?"

"Yes by removing the kidney and surrounding tissue, it should remove most of it but as I said the chemo following is to make sure all remaining cancer cells are destroyed."

"And what about school? She meant to start back on Monday."

"I'd ring the school and explain exactly what's going on. Until she's recovered from the operation I'd keep her off school after that we can give a better answer, there's nothing to stop her from doing the work at home we just advise due to infection risk that she stays away until after recovering from surgery."

"When does the chemo start?" It's all very fast but he doesn't want it to spread anymore.

"I've booked Alice in for her first round of chemo on Monday, you'll need to arrive at the day ward at half 9, she'll be in most of the day and she can go home after." Melrose takes a few leaflets for the folder she's holding, "Read through these, these will make you aware of some of the side effects of chemo and how to make her comfortable at home. You will be given more information on Monday too and you have my number should you have any questions. If you'd like to follow me and I'll get Alice discharged."

"Thank you," Roger takes them lifting Alice off the bed and follows Melrose, "Oh, we also have a dog, will that be a problem. Infection risk and whatnot?"

"Shouldn't be too much of a problem, just make sure he's gentle with her and no licking her after a round of chemo and the surgery. To be honest, though, dogs have great healing qualities and keep spirits high so keep the dog around Alice, it can provide good comfort."

Roger has a feeling Biscuit will know to be careful around her, he's been nothing but gentle with her so far but he'd rather be sure.

Getting home, he immediately puts Alice to bed, she's had a long two days and she's going to need all the sleep she can get for her first round of chemo next week.

He sat in the armchair sipping his beer flipping through the side effects leaflet, when there's a knock at the door, huffing he groans, "It's open," He can't be bothered to move and it's either the boys, Mary or Veronica.