New Style

Fun filler chapter

February 1981

"Alice!" Roger shouts up the stairs, the rest of the band are with him, "Come down here, please."

"But I'm playing with Felix," She shouts back.

"Then bring him with you," Freddie calls back, "We need your honest opinion, lovie."

She races to the top of the stairs having heard her uncles voice, 8-month-old Felix on her back in the baby carrier, a very common sight and Biscuit trailing beside them as always.

"Whoa," She halts rounding the bottom of the stairs, when her dad went out this morning he had long hair, now it's shorter.

Freddie's hair is even short than the last haircut he had, his moustache is now fully formed. John's long hair has gone but Brian's hair has thankfully stayed the same.

"What do you think?" Roger asks, hoping for a good reaction.

"Hmm... I like it. But now I can't plait your hair uncle Deaks," She turns to her favourite.

"Exactly," John chuckles, rolling his eyes.

"I like your moustache uncle Freddie," She climbs on the sofa to reach his height, Felix reaches his hand out to run his hand across it. Freddie beams kissing Alice and Felix's cheek making them squeal.

"As you can see Brian didn't change his style."

"Good," Alice nods firmly, running over and jumping on the guitarists back, lucky he anticipated this and caught her, "You'd look funny without your curly hair."

"Thanks," Brian rolls his eyes.

"No, it's not a bad thing," She frowns, concerned she's hurt his feelings, "But your Brian May, your hair is iconic."

He smiles, knowing her words are meant with a good heart, "You're getting too heavy for piggyback rides."

"It's Felix not me," She giggles.

Roger snorts taking his son off Alice's back, "I doubt that, monkey."

"You're growing up," John ruffles her hair, "Starting high school in September. Soon it will be boys, makeup and homework."

"I don't think so," Roger smacks John over the head, "Don't encourage her. Alice, no boys allowed in this house."

"What about Rami?"

"He's the exception because he's only a friend but no boyfriends."

------

It's late evening Alice was fast asleep in bed, so is Dominique and Felix but Roger is out for the evening with the band.

Alice wakes when she hears a car coming up the drive, she climbs out of bed going over to the window. It's a taxi and her dad stumbles out of the car, clearly had one too many to drink.

Leaving her room she passes Felix door checking he's still asleep, Biscuit on the floor guarding the cot. Dominique obviously hasn't heard the car because her door remains shut.

She sits at the top of the stairs and waits, giggling hearing her dad cursing as he struggles to get the key in the door. She takes pity on him and skips down the stairs unlocking the door and lets him in, startling him in the process, "Christ, don't do that. What are you doing up, Missy?"

"I heard the taxi coming up the drive. Besides you were struggling to get the key in."

"I would have got there eventually."