Studio

January 1990

Alice woke feeling sore and groggy, opening her eyes she quickly closes them again blinded by bright white lights. Blinking a few times to let her eyes adjust, trying to remember where she is.

Examining the room around her, she spots her dad asleep in a chair beside the hospital bed she is in. Now she remembers, the hysterectomy is why she is laying in the bed.

She spots the jug of water on the bedside table and realises how thirsty she is, trying to sit up she moans her lower stomach sore from the stitches. Slower this time she tries again, "Ow," She grimaces.

"Careful, Ally" John comes to her aid, she hadn't noticed him stood by the window, "You don't want to pull your stitches. Is it water your after?"

"Yes please," She whispers, he helps prop her up with pillows then hands her a cup of water. She sips it quietly looking at her dad, he's still fast asleep.

"Brian says he's been up all night," John informs her, "He refuses to leave. I took over from Brian an hour ago and that's when Rog fell asleep."

"Then let him sleep," She smiles sadly.

Since Alice told her dad she's dying, he doesn't get much sleep. She can hear him in the studio at night sometimes, taking his anger out on the drum kit. Some nights when he thinks she is fast asleep, he'll come into her room at night and kiss her forehead goodnight as he used to when she was little.

He's constantly keeping an eye on her and if she asks for something, he'll instantly drop what he's doing and get it for her. Every morning he checks she's feeling alright and she's sure he's also making sure she's still alive.

"How's the bucket list coming along?" John pulls her out of her thoughts.

"I've written it," She wrote it while waiting to go to surgery, "I just need to do everything now."

"Can I see?"

"It's in the top of my bag," She points to her overnight bag by Roger's chair.

John finds the notebook at the top and reads through the list:

Travel and take lots of photos
Record and release songs with Uncle Freddie
Spend lots of time with Dad
Night nature walk with Uncle Brian
Spend an afternoon with Uncle Deaky
Spend time with Felix
Spend time with Rory
Be at Rami and Lucy's wedding
Spend a girly day with mum
Visit grandma and aunt Clare
Visit Molly's grave

"Spend an afternoon with me," John frowns but a small smile on his lips too, "That's rather random."

"No, it's not," Alice smiles, thinking back on fond memories, "You don't remember when I was little you'd take me out in the afternoons sometimes? To the park for ice cream or to the cinema? And if we were on tour you'd take me sightseeing and I'd take lots of photos."

A toothy grin covers John's face, "I didn't think you'd remember that."

"Of course I do. Those memories are my favourite."

"Well, maybe when your feeling better and it's a bit warmer out, we can arrange a sightseeing day and of course an ice cream at the park?"

"I'd like that. I remember bunny too, I've still got him somewhere. I think that's why you were instantly the favourite uncle, the others brought me clothes that I needed, while dad and Brian brought me toys that at that time I had no idea what to do with them but bunny..." It's a long time ago but she can remember how the bunny made her feel, "It made me feel safe and I already knew what to do with it."