High School

September 1981

"Dad?! Have you seen my shoes?" Alice calls downstairs while brushing her hair. Today is her first day as a Year 7, Roger cannot believe she's in high school already.

"On the shoe rack by the front door," He shouts back stood by the front door waiting for her. She races down the stairs with her new school uniform on minus her shoes.

"Thanks," She sits on the stairs to put them on.

"That skirt is a bit short," He raises an eyebrow.

Alice sighs, "Dad, it's the standard school skirt

Alice sighs, "Dad, it's the standard school skirt. What do you want me to do, wear trousers all my life?"

"Yes." He's not ready for his little girl to grow up.

"Dad!"

"Alright, alright." He holds his hands up in surrender changing the subject, "You ready to go?"

"Yep."

"Had breakfast?" During the six weeks, she's been a real teenager by skipping her breakfast and sleeping in late.

"Yep."

"Come on then," He ushers her out to the car, "We have to pick up, Hazel, Rami and Sami."

"Have a good day," Dominique calls after her, trying to feed Felix.

"Thanks, bye mum, bye Felix," Her little brother gives her a wave turning away from the spoon, "Bye Bisc..." She stops clearing the emotion from her throat. It still hurts her that Biscuit is gone, she keeps doing things like that.

Neither Roger nor Dominique says anything because they know it's best not to, in the car he tries to distract her, "You looking forward to your first day?" Roger asks.

She gives him an 'are you serious' look, "Does anyone look forward to school?"

"Point taken. Try and make some friends, yeah?"

"I have friends, Rami and Hazel."

"I know but it's a whole new school, a whole new group of people, there's nothing wrong with making new friends."

"Now you sound like uncle Brian." They pull up outside of Rami's house. Rami climbs into the car, "Morning, Ram Ram."

"Nope!" Rami shouts in protest, "That is not sticking through high school."

"Why?" She giggles, "It's your nickname."

"It makes me sound like a baby. Please just call me Rami," He half begs his best friend.

"I'll consider it." She turns back around realising they're still outside Rami's house, "Dad, you gonna drive? We'll be late"

"I believe we're missing a twin?" Roger points out that Sami is not in the car.