Free

Surprise update because it is, of course, Brian May's 74th birthday. Happy birthday to our favourite curly-haired guitarist.

1st March 1976

Alice has completed her 20 weeks of chemo and today, she's going to see doctor Melrose for the results of the tests she had three days ago to see if she needs any more treatment. It's also her 6th birthday so Veronica is praying that it's good news.

Queen are currently on tour and while Roger wanted to be at this appointment, he's on tour in America and couldn't get back since their last show was last night. They'll be at the airport tonight to tell them the news.

"Good morning Alice, happy birthday. You ready for your results?" Doctor Melrose leads them down the hall to her office.

"Yep, I have a good feeling," Alice links her hand with Veronica's pulling her along, "Aunt V and I are going for ice cream after to celebrate."

"Celebration plans before the news, I like your style." She sits at her desk, Veronica and Alice across from her, "So I have good news and bad news, which one do you want to hear first?"

Alice gulps biting her lower lip, "The bad."

"Well the bad news is you're going to be seeing a lot less of this place," Melrose smiles, "Alice, your results show that you are cancer-free."

Veronica couldn't help herself from tearing up, "Are you sure?"

Alice wells up too, she was hoping it was good news but she wasn't entirely sure.

"I'm sure," She shows Alice the scan from before Christmas versus the one from three days ago.

"I'm not sick anymore?"

"No. In a moment you can go a ring the end of treatment bell."

"But I want my daddy to be here for that," Alice pouts.

"He gets back tonight," Veronica informs Doctor Melrose, wiping her eyes.

"Then we arrange it for tomorrow, of course, you'll want your dad here, he'll be glad to receive such good news. When your dad is here tomorrow, I'll talk to him about your follow up appointments going forward."

Leaving the office Veronica picks Alice up squeezing her tightly, "I'm so proud of you. You beat it."

"I get to be a normal kid again."

"Oh hush, normal is overrated. Come on, let's go and pick up Robert then we'll go and get some ice cream," Veronica's mum happily had her grandson for the morning, "We have your birthday to celebrate as well as this news."

------

Stood at the airport, Alice, Veronica and little Robert waiting for the boys to come in. Despite her inner excitement, Alice keeps quiet. They're aware of the press lurking to capture photos.

That is until the gate opens and Alice sees her dad for the first time in two months, once there is a clear path to him, Alice races towards him, "Daddy! I did it, I beat it!"

Grinning, Roger catches her and sighs in relief. Despite feeling tired from the long flight, that is the best news he could wish for, "Your cancer free?"

"Yep, I get to ring the end of treatment bell tomorrow," She nods, "Will you all come?"

"You try and stop us, lovie," Freddie beams kissing her cheek as they pass, "Also, happy birthday."

"Yes, happy birthday, I've got a present for you when we get home," Roger mutters as she nuzzles into his hug.

"We've been waiting for this news as much as you have," Brian beams, happy she's free from that horrible disease, "Of course we'll be there."

Before John can add to it, Paul speaks up ruining the moment, "Lads come on, there's a taxi waiting outside."

They head to baggage claims and while they're collecting their bags, no one noticed Paul talking to someone from the press.

Alice sat on her dad's bed as he unpacks, "Oh, here we go," He pulls a gift box out of the suitcase, "Happy Birthday Monkey."

She beams seeing the sparkly pink converses inside the box, "We can be matching," she grew out of her old ones.

"Well, you have been begging me for new ones. Now, this is your other present," He passes her another box with a camera inside.

"I have a camera," She frowns, confused why he's got her another one.

"This isn't just a camera, it's a camcorder. You can video things, recording them on these," He pulls out the cassette tapes in the box with it, "Like maybe your end of treatment bell tomorrow."

"Thanks, daddy." She sits playing with it while he finished unpacking.

Trying to get to sleep later that evening Roger rolls over when Alice pushing the door open and climbs onto his bed. She crawls under covers and Biscuit curls up at the end of the bed.

"You okay, Monkey?" He kisses her head as she cuddles into his chest. This is the only time he ever sees her without her wig on, she won't go out in public without it.

"I missed you, when do you go away again?"

"I missed you too. We go to Japan in two weeks, I'll be gone for a month but then I'm back for a while." Roger loves touring, don't get him wrong, it's all he's ever wanted to do but he's glad to be home and back in his own bed. He's missed his little family and he's been nothing but worried about Alice since he left for America.

It's a weight off his mind knowing that she's cancer-free now, she can enjoy being a child again. Veronica had said on the phone that Alice was getting tired of all the treatments, she was annoyed because couldn't go to her friend's houses and go on a school trip because she's been too tired.

------

At the hospital the next day after Alice finished school, she waits anxiously to ring the bell, everyone is there including Brian with Alice's new camcorder in his hand.

They're waiting on Roger and Doctor Melrose to finish their conversation about Alice's follow up appointments.

When they finish, Melrose speaks, "Alice, when your ready, read the words on the plaque and ring the bell."

Roger lifts her up to see, Alice clears her throat reading it aloud, "Ring this bell three times well, it's toll to clearly say my treatment's done, this course is run and I am on my way." She rings the bell happily and with confidence.

"I'm so proud of you," Roger hugs her tightly, "Shall we go and celebrate?"

Leaving the hospital, John stops out of nowhere causing Roger and Alice to crash into him, "Christ, Deaky if you're going to do an emergency stop at least move out the way."

"Sorry," John mutters not really listening, reading at the newspaper stand in front of him.

"Bastards," Roger growls seeing the front cover story. Daughter of Queen drummer Taylor beats cancer!

John picks up a copy to pay for it, "How did they even know about her cancer?"

"Probably poking their noses into our conversation at the airport yesterday," Brian rolls his eyes, "What are you going to do, Rog?"

"Nothing, for now, I'm not invading my daughter's privacy for some nosy reporters." He has no problem with the press asking him questions and photographing him but pestering his daughter is a no go, until she's old enough to make her own decisions, her life remains private, "It will be forgotten in a few days."

Because of this update today there won't be one tomorrow the next chapter is on Thursday.