Growing Up

Guys!!! This book has reached 10k+ reads thank you so much. Also, it's my birthday tomorrow, I'm going to be 23.

November 1987

At the beginning of the Glass Spider Tour, Alice ended up being really homesick. She loved her job but she missed her dad and family, the idea of eight months without seeing them seemed daunting. But after a phone call home and some reassurance from her dad, she began to enjoy herself and the months quickly flew by.

They're currently in New Zealand and the last show of the tour is over. David was just leaving his dressing room for the hotel when he noticed Alice talking to two of the other crew members.

He hadn't realised until they were in America that Alice was the only young female in the crew so of course, she was bound to catch the eye of the younger lads in his tour crew.

The two lads she's talking to are Gwilym, a member of the sound crew and Ben, a member of the lighting crew. He knows there's no need to worry since Alice is gay, but he still keeps a watchful eye on her anyway.

He watches for a moment and decided that they're getting a bit too close to her for his liking and intervenes, "Alice, would you like a lift back to the hotel?"

Alice takes a step back from the boys realising how close they got, she blushes but nods, "If it's not too much trouble, thank you."

"I'll see you at the party boys," She smirks, leaving them blushing. She slings her camera bag over her shoulder, following David to the car.

Back at the hotel, Alice gets ready for the after-party, it's more of a thank-you party for the crew from David but it's a chance for them all to let their hair down after eight months of hard work.

Applying her makeup Alice steps back from the mirror and looks her outfit over. She grabs her jacket slipping it on and nods in approval.

She was readjusting her hair when there's a knock at her door, she rolls her eyes knowing it can be only three people, Gwilym and Ben or David

Swinging the door open, it's Gwilym alone looking very smart in a grey button shirt and black dress trousers, "Wow, you look great," He grins complimenting her.

"Thank you, you look rather handsome yourself." She swaps her bag off the counter by the door checking her hotel key and purse is in there before pulling the door shut, "No Ben?"

"Nope, he's too busy sorting his hair," He rolls his eyes.

"Sounds like my dad," She laughs as Ben meets them in the corridor.

"Hey, I was just coming to find you," Ben directs his smile to Alice as if Gwilym wasn't even there.

Alice snickers stepping into the lift, enjoying every moment of this, "Well to be honest I expected to open the door and find you two fighting the greet me first." She thought they knew she was a lesbian but it's starting to become apparent that they don't know this.

They both cringe at her use of words realising how obvious it was that they both like her, "Are we really that bad?" Gwilym rubs the back of his neck.

Once the lift doors close she decides to but them out of their misery, "You two do know I'm gay, right?"

"What?!" They shout simultaneously.

"I'm a lesbian," She snickers again, the disappointment on their face has her feeling a little guilty, "I can't believe you guys didn't know that already."

"Why didn't you say from the beginning?" Ben frowns, hurt that she lead them on like that.

"Because I thought you knew after I mentioned Molly being my girlfriend."

"Oh," They must have missed that part in the conversation.

"Come on, let's just go and have a good night," She takes both their arms leading them out of the hotel.

------

Never in her life has she felt so tired, Alice walks off the plane after a 15-hour flight stretching out her legs and arms. Collecting her luggage she heads out the gate exit looking about for her dad.

Roger promised to be there to pick her up, he hadn't got to see Alice when the tour was in London so eight months without seeing his daughter has been hard.

At first, she couldn't see him, she looks at the crowd of people. Once most of the people left the area she saw him stood with Brian, they both grin.

She runs towards them desperate for a hug from her dad, Roger huffs as she collides with him but instantly hugs her tight. Alice buries her face in his jacket and he kisses her head, "Eight months really is too long," He mutters.

Pulling back from the hug Roger looks her over, "Christ, you've had a growth spurt," Before she left she reached his chest bone but now she reaches his shoulder. She's grown up in otherwise to though he'd never say, save embarrassing her.

Along with the new height, her face has lost its baby fat, she lost the baby fat elsewhere and her breasts have developed giving her a more womanly figure.

"Yep, I'm three inches taller. If I keep going I'll soon catch you, Uncle Brian," She grins, processing to hug her uncle.

"You need to do a lot more growing for that I'm afraid, Ally. You might catch up with your dad though."

"So come on," She pulls them towards the exit, "tell me what I've missed. How is everyone?"

They tell her everything, Brian has a new daughter Emily May, Debbie has moved in and Queen is starting to record their next album. They leave out the news that Freddie has aids, the singer asked Roger not to tell her, he wants to do that himself, in person.

It came as a shock for all of them and it hurts to know they're going to lose Freddie but out of all of them, Alice has already lost too much. Biscuit and Molly, having cancer herself and everything with Georgia, Roger fears that losing her uncle could really push her over the edge. He's surprised it hasn't happened already.

------

A few days after arriving home, Freddie rang the Taylor home asking for Alice, "Yeah, hold on Fred," Roger sighs, "I'll get her."

He puts the receiver down and goes in search of his oldest daughter, finding her in her room with Hazel and Lucy, they'd come over for a catch-up, "Alice, phone call for you."

"I'll be right back," She mutters to her friends.

"Hello?" She picks the phone up.

"Alice, hello lovie. How was the tour?"

She can picture his grin and it makes her smile, "Hi, Uncle Freddie, it was amazing."

"Good. I'd love to hear more and I also need to talk to you about something, so would an angel and come to the lodge tomorrow?"

"Sure," Alice hasn't seen her uncle since her birthday, "Dad is going into London tomorrow so I'll get him to drop me off. It will be about 12ish."

"Fabulous. And don't have lunch before you come, I'll get Joe to work his magic."

"Great, see you tomorrow, bye, Uncle Freddie," She puts the phone down and goes back upstairs to her friends.

Back to the normal updating schedule