18th Birthday

Happy 75th birthday Freddie Mercury, you talented, inspirational legend.

March 1988

Tomorrow is Alice's 18th birthday, but she's starting to think her family has forgotten. Sat at dinner that night with Brian, Debbie and Roger, she tries to get a hint, "So what's the plan for tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow?" Roger frowns, "Brian and I are at the studio most of tomorrow with the others."

"And I'm going to a second viewing of that house tomorrow evening," Brian has been living with them for the past month and has been house hunting anytime he's not working.

"I have a meeting with my agent, sorry," Debbie shrugs.

"We didn't plan something, did we?" Roger's sure he would have remembered that conversation.

"No," Alice slumps in her seat, "I just thought it would be nice to do something but you're busy, so it doesn't matter. I'm not hungry anymore," She pushes her plate away and stands, "I'll be in my room." She retreats to her bedroom feeling rather unwanted.

The following morning she woke to a knock at her bedroom door, she tells whoever it is to come in but they don't so she gets up to answer it.

She's surprised to find no one there but there is a trail of party popper confetti leading from her door. Grinning she ties her dressing gown around her and follows the trail.

It leads her down the hall around the corner and down the stairs to where Roger, Brian, 7-year-old Felix, 1 and a half-year-old Rory, Dominique and Debbie are waiting in the living room.

It's decorated with 18th birthday banners and on the coffee table is a stack of cards and presents. Roger pulls her into a hug, kissing her hair, "You didn't really think we'd forget, did you?"

Alice bites her lip, feeling bad for doubting him, "Maybe a little."

He tuts rolling his eyes, "As if I would. Happy birthday, Monkey."

"Thanks, Dad," She hugs him back.

After opening the cards, presents and having some breakfast, Alice asks last nights question again, "So is there a plan for today?"

"Yes," Dominique smiles, "Though your dad was telling the truth. Queen does have a recording session up until this afternoon but you and I are going shopping, we'll have some lunch then we can go back to my house and get ready for tonight."

She can live with that, it's been a while since she had a girly day with her mum, "Why? What's tonight?"

"Me, your dad, Brian, Deaky and even Freddie are taking you for a couple of drinks and your friends will meet us there, they have the plans from there."

All Alice's other friends are already 18 but they all agreed to wait for all of them to be 18 before going out on a night out together, "Oh cool." Really, she should never have doubted her family.

"So when are you teaching Alice to drive, Rog," Brian brings up the subject smirking, he knows Roger is terrified that she will crash his car.

Alice wears the same evil smirk, "Yeah dad. My provisional licence arrived today, which means I can start having lessons."

Huffing, Roger runs a hand through his hair, "I suppose I can teach you," though he hasn't a clue how to start.

------

Dominique and Alice spent the entire morning shopping, spending her birthday money, then after lunch, Dominique took her to get her nails done and a hair trim.