Phone Call

April 1974

After the tour, Queen was straight back in the studios recording for their second album and on the 8th of March 1974, Queen II was released. They were once again touring the UK but this time as the headline act.

They're now back at home, they got back yesterday and are catching up on some well-earned sleep. Well, Roger and Brian are Alice is in the living room.

She's sat on the floor practising on her guitar, Roger brought her an acoustic guitar for her 4th birthday last month and Brian has been teaching her. She was concentrating until the phone rang, when neither Brian nor her dad exits their room to answer, she gets up to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Hello Alice, is your dad or Brian there? It's John Reid."

"Oh hello, Mr Reid. No Daddy and uncle Brian are still asleep, you could tell me and I'll pass on the message," She tells him innocently though trying to be nosy.

"I really do need to speak to one of them. I can hold if you want to go and wake one of them?"

Alice huffs, "Okay. I'll be a few minutes." She puts the phone on the side and runs towards her dad's room.

"Daddy," She shakes Roger's shoulder.

"What?" He grumbles into his pillow not opening his eyes.

"Mr Reid is on the phone." Huffing Roger gets up following her to the phone. Alice sits on the arm of the sofa listening in.

The excitement in his voice tells Alice that this is something big, "We'd be more than happy to join them. I'll let the others know. Yes. Thank you very much."

He puts the phone down and picks Alice up spinning her around, "Ally, grab your passport because we're going to America in two weeks. Come on, let's go wake uncle Brian."

When he puts her down she runs ahead to Brian's room, pushing the door open the guitarist is fast asleep under the covers. Roger stands back and lets Alice take the lead.

She climbs onto the guitarist's bed, "Uncle Bri?" She shakes his shoulder but gets a soft snore in return. Pouting she looks back at her dad for help, "Now what?"

"You'll think of something," Roger likes it when she uses her imagination, it's usually quite funny and he gets a glimpse of his personality reflecting through her.

Looking about the room Alice thinks about her next move, she climbs off the bed and goes down the hall to the kitchen, coming back with a can of whipped cream and the feather duster.

Alice squirts some cream into Brian's outstretched hand then move to the head of his bed, feather duster at the ready she looks at her dad. Roger smirks seeing the exact same smirk looking back at him.

Lowering the duster she tickles Brian's nose but it doesn't work. The shake to Brian's shoulder had worked and the guitarists heard and felt her spraying the cream into his hand, he waits a moment before opening his eyes to look up at the little girl looking down at him.

"Uh oh," Alice mutters, Brian pulls her down onto the bed and wipes the cream on her face, "Ew, uncle Brian!"

"Nice try Ally," He chuckles until she grabs the can and squirts it at his face. She giggles letting her guard down, "Right that's it," He starts tickling her sides making her squeal.

They both attack each other laughing and making a mess until Alice gives in, "I surrender!"

"You two done," Roger chuckles from the doorway.

Brian wipes the cream off his face, "Is there a reason for this wake-up call?"

"Yes, John Reid rang," Roger skips straight to the point.

"What did he want?"

"He's booked us a tour of America, we're to join Mott The Hoople as their support act for four weeks."

"We're going to America," Brian beams, "Do the others know?"

"No, Reid couldn't get hold of Freddie and we need to tell Deaky."

"Then let's go," Brian stands quickly getting changed, Alice and Roger retreat to their rooms to do the same.

------

They pick up John first telling him the news then stop via the shop for some champagne before Roger walks into Freddie's flat like he owns the place, "Phone's off the hook."

"Oh come on in make yourselves at home, don't mind us," Freddie glares at his bandmates for ruining a private moment but smiles at Alice.

"Hello Mary," Brian greets, ignoring Freddie sarcasm and starting to open the bottle of champagne, "How's your dad?"

"Well thanks," Mary blushes trying to keep herself covered.

Freddie signs no patience for this today, "What's going on Brian?"

"Well if you'd answered your phone you'd know already."

"This really isn't a good time guys."

Brian stops fiddling with the champagne bottle, "John Reid called today. He has a little tour in mind for us."

"It's not little Brian," Roger interrupts, a smug smile on his face, "He's booked us a tour of America, supporting Mott The Hoople. The albums hit the charts in the US."

"Yes!" Freddie breathes, his annoyance replaced by excitement, "Yes!" They've done it! He pulls Roger, John and Brian into a group hug laughing.

------

That afternoon Roger and Alice are out sorting the next part of their future, with Brian looking to move into a place of his own with Chrissie after this tour ends, Roger is looking into buying a house.

He's not looking for anything big, it isn't going to be their forever home but it gets him on the property ladder and will hopefully have enough space for Alice to have a dog and a bigger room.

They looked at a few houses but none of them seemed to work, some too expensive, some too small or too bigger and others just didn't feel right. They get to the last house and Roger is ready to quit and just live in the flat.

Alice has grown bored at this point but it's the last viewing of the day and Roger promised her a McDonald's after, if she's doesn't moan that she's bored.

"Daddy," She whispers, so the estate agent can't hear her.

"What?" He whispers back.

"I like this house."

"Yeah? Why is that?" He couldn't see anything special about it that might catch her attention.

"Feels right," He puts her down and lets her wonder about. He knows what she means, it has a homely feel. It's a three-bedroom house, two big rooms and one small room that he can keep his drum kit in. Big back garden, drive out front and the price is good.

The neighbourhood seems child friendly, there's a park not far from the house and a couple of schools within the area.

They came to the end of their tour around the house and they were stood in the garden when the estate agent gives them a few minutes to talk, "What do you think Monkey? You like this place?"

"Yes."

"You think you could feel at home here?" He knows he could, "Should we make this our next home? There'd be room for a dog here too."

Alice's eyes light up and she pounces on him in a hug, "Yes! I like this house."

Roger loves her hugs, they're always warm and full of love. He pulls back eyeing her suspiciously, "Are you saying that just so you can get a dog?"

"No," She looks offended, "I really like it."

"I'm only teasing," He tickles her tummy, "Let's go and talk to the man." He takes her hand, walking her back into the house. They put an offer on the house and now they just have to wait and see if it gets approved.