Moving On

Hey guys, thank you so much for understanding and your kind words. I'm feeling a lot better but I still have a busy week ahead of me so, you have this update today then hopefully from Thursday, we should go back to normal but I'll confirm that on Thursday update.

January 1987

"Alice! We're home!" Roger calls through the house, Dominique behind him. They leave their suitcases by the door.

"Mum? Dad?" Alice races to the top of the stairs, happy to see them. She runs down the stairs hugging her dad then her mum, "How was the honeymoon? Am I getting another brother or sister yet?"

"No, Alice," Dominique scolds but Roger chuckles, "But it was a lovely week." Just ten days ago after ten years together, the pair got finally married. It was nothing big or fancy, just close friends and family.

"How was your week of freedom?" Roger asks, looking about for his other two children, "Where are Felix and Rory?" They've been away for the week in Greece leaving Alice in charge of the house and looking after her siblings, not that she minds.

"Rory is having a nap and Felix is at school, dad. It is Monday," She points out following them upstairs as they take their bags up to unpack.

------

Two weeks past and despite Roger and Dominique being married, life doesn't feel much different. However, Alice wasn't aware of the truth behind why Dominique and Roger got married.

"Alice, you got a minute?" Roger pops his head around her bedroom door, she is lay on her stomach on her bed reading a book.

"Sure," She stays on her stomach but closes her book. He sits on the end of her bed leaning against the frame.

"I have something to discuss with you but you must promise not to fly off the handle."

"You're not leaving Queen are you?"

"No," Roger smiles knowing she would never let him quit even if he wanted to, "Differently not. It's about the reason me and your mum got married, to make sure Felix and Rory are secure and have rights to all family affairs, as you do, should anything happen to me in the future."

Alice panics sitting up, "Are you ill? Please don't say you're ill."

Roger realises his worrying her, "No," He takes her hand, squeezing it, "I'm not ill, sorry I didn't mean to frighten you like that."

"Good. You might be embarrassing sometimes but you're still my dad, life would be crap without you, I couldn't stand to lose you."

"Thanks for that Ally," Her choice of words make him laugh, "But I'm not going anywhere, don't worry. The truth is, I've been seeing another woman, Alice."

"What?! Dad! Jesus, you've only been married three weeks." She pulls her hand out of his, "How could you? Does mum know?"

He knew this was coming, "Yes, she does."

"Who is she?"

"Her name is Debbie Leng, she was in one of The Cross music videos, that's how I met her."

"The Cadburys Flake girl?" Alice frowns knowing exactly who she is, "Dad, she's half your age."

"Excuse me, I'm 37."

"And she's 22!" She can't believe this is happening, Alice feels like the parent and child roles have switched, "That's 15 years difference and she's only 6 years older than me. The woman could be my sister."

"Alice, I like her and despite what you might think, Dominique and I don't love each other the way we used to. We still get on and we'll remind good friends and of course, there's Felix and Rory but they'll be moving permanently into the house in Kensington at the weekend."