50.

*Unedited*

"We are here." Aaron said as they parked in the basement of a tall building. It was more of a skyscraper though.

They went in the elevator build inside the parking lot. Aaron had explained to me that his parents live in a penthouse on the top floor and Arnav on the floor below them, that way he got his privacy and didn't have to move out fully and the rest of the floor was occupied for different purposes, business and otherwise, which he didn't explained to me considering this building has 112 floors. This was a house-cum-office building but it works for them.

Mr. Keshav, Aaron's father forgot to mention that today was also their wedding anniversary to Aaron. It will be their 30 years together, which everyone saw as a celebration but Aaron did not. Well, Aaron figured it out because Arnav called him and told him about the little celebration going on. He was angry.

Mia convinced him though to get a gift for them, which she was holding in her hands. She was wearing a beige full sequin saree and Aaron was wearing a black suit. Mia plastered a smile to cover her awkwardness while entering the penthouse suite which was screaming wealth from its every corner. It was a very modernly designed suite with metallic colours and glass windows.

Everyone turned towards them as they entered the room full of guest. The first feeling Mia registered was anxiety due to the attention towards her and secondly she felt out of place. Feelings like this she had always despised but it's a part of her and she has to deal with it.

Aaron put his hand on the small of Mia's back and guided her to the middle of the room, where his parents was. A prominent scowl plastered on his face, he wasn't even trying to show that he didn't want to be here.

When Mr. Keshav saw us, he clapped twice to get the attention of the crowd and announced, "Look, ladies and gentlemen, My dear son and my dearest daughter-in-law is here." Mia bowed down and touched his feet, she tried to do the same with Meera Ma, but she didn't let her and just hugged her.

Everyone clapped in their welcome, which Mia found weird, but Mia thought that's the norm. Mia and Mrs. Meera exchanged greetings and pleasantries after that Aaron and Mia gave them the gift they brought. After that the party started as Mr. Keshav gave a speech about how much he loved his wife and how much she supported her throughout their marriage. They cut the cake and the party started.

Aaron glared at him throughout this and Mia was also start noticing the bits and pieces slipping through Mr. Keshav's performance. As, how his hands was applying extra pressure from where he held Meera Ma, and how he was not letting her talk beyond certain words.

Mia was hurt more than she comprehend.

All her life, she felt oppressed somehow and she thought her marriage would end in tatters but seeing something this up-close and not doing anything about it was breaking her heart. And she couldn't imagine what Aaron went through in his childhood.

And she was glad that Aaron didn't turned into Mr. Rathore. Because sometimes when we grew up surrounded by violence, we kind of started considering it normal and mostly become the person we hated. And the cycle goes on.

When they posed for a family photo Aaron asked his Mom about Arnav. And she replied that he was out with his friends. Aaron sighed at that. He was glad Arnav was not here to attend the so called 'Happy Anniversary', but he still wanted to meet him before going back to New York. He decided to court his brother down before going to America.

In the middle of the celebration, when Aaron couldn't take it anymore he went into the balcony to have a breathe while Mia helped Meera Ma with drinks and meals. He saw them smiling and talking to each other, especially his Mom was gazing fondly at Mia and guiding her through.