Chapter Twenty-Two

Warm grey eyes are staring back at my blue-grey ones. The eyes that I've known my whole life. A friendly smile sits on his lips. I didn't expect him to see him here standing in front of me. I didn't expect him, not until Friday, though. He is two days early and now I know I'm in deep trouble.

"Hey sweetheart," my dad says to me, "I forgot my keys and I thought I will surprise you." I stare at him still too shock to respond. He takes a step forward and I take a step to the side, blocking his entrance to the house.

I can't have him inside the house right now. Hunter is inside the house and I don't think my dad would appreciate seeing Hunter. Knowing my father he will probably think the worse, which I really don't want to know what they are. It also may not look it really is. To my dad it may seemed that I have a boy over -while being completely alone in the house- meanwhile I think he is in California finishing a deal.

My dad furrows his eyebrows together in confusion. "Come on Kennedy. I don't want to play games right now." He tells me and then suddenly I'm outside and my dad is already in the house.

Oh crap!, I think to my self.

"Um... Kennedy?" I hear my dad say. I close my eyes and groan. When I open my eyes up I stare at the door that my dad just walked through. Now I am wondering if I should walk through it. I mean I am already outside, alone, where I can easily escape and maybe I can just let Hunter deal with my dad. Yet again, I will have to deal with my dad sooner or later.

Why do you always get yourself stuck in these situations? I scream in my mind.

I think sooner is better than later. I mean it's better to just get it over with. I take a deep breath and take a brave- very brave -step towards the door. I brace myself for the whole discussion ahead of me. I go through the door and I find Hunter and dad both staring at each other. Hunter has a smile on his face while my dad has the complete opposite.

"Yeah?" I say completely innocent. I have learned over my 17 years that the best way to not get into trouble- or very little trouble- is to act innocent. As innocent as you can possibly manage during the situation.

My dad turns to me with a frown on his lips. "Care to explain what this is?" He says sternly. He gestures towards Hunter. I look at Hunter and now his eyes are set on me. His lips are now press together tightly as if he is trying to hold something back. Maybe a smirk or, possibly, a laugh. I can still hear his speech he gave me just a couple of minutes ago. I look back at my dad who doesn't look very happy, may I say.

"This is Hunter, dad." I smile at him trying to bring his mood up, which doesn't work at all. What the hell I'm I going to do? This is probably the most awkward situation I have been in my whole life. I did not think this was going to be the way Hunter and my dad met. I didn't think they were going to meet at all.

"He is our neighbor." That is what makes his expression change. His face lights up in surprise and then he turns again to face Hunter. The thing about my dad is he is always extremely friendly to neighbors. He says that you have to treat your neighbors like family. Right in this moment you don't know how glad I am that Hunter is my neighbor.

He turns towards Hunter and extends his hand. Hunter smiles at him and gives him a firm shake. "It's nice to meet you Hunter. I'm Ryan Sparks, Kenney's dad," he smiles at him, "I've never seen you around. Where do you exactly live?"

Hunter looks at me quickly, "Nice to meet you Mr. Sparks. I am Hunter McCollum. I live right next door and I don't get out much so that's probably why," Hunter is smiling and acting all polite towards my dad. I am behind my dad so I am glaring at him. Him not going out is such a joke. He is Hunter and everyone knows him because of the things that he does around town.

"Dad," I suddenly say, "Hunter was actually on his way out when you got here." I need to get him out of the house as soon as possible.

Hunter raised his eyebrow and the smile he had was replaced by his little evil smirk. "Yeah I was actually. I just came over to ask Kennedy if she will be my tutor but she said no."

That little shit, I think. I glare at him. I know my dad is going to make me tutor him. I just know it.

As soon as the words leave his mouth my dad turns to me, "Kennedy don't be rude. Hunter seems like a nice boy. He is asking for your help."

Ha! Hunter a nice boy? That is such a joke. Hunter is way to far to be a nice boy. Hunter is not nice to anyone. I do know that whatever the answer I give to my dad I will end up tutoring him either way. I roll my eyes, "Fine whatever," I mutter.

"Wow! Thank you so much Kennedy! I need to go now, though," Hunter says way to enthusiastic.

I look up and see that Hunter is right next to me now. I look at my dad and he smiles at me, "Walk Hunter out Kennedy," my dad tells me.

I groan internally and start to walk towards the door. I hear Hunter's heavy steps behind me. I open the door and he walk out. On the way out he got a grip of my wrist and gently dragged me outside with him. Now we were out of the sight of my dad. He looked at me with the same loving eyes he gave me when he got here.

"I promise you Kennedy... that I am going to do whatever it take to get you back. I will show you I am going to have you for the right reasons," and then he gave me a peck on the cheek. When he pulled back he gave me one last look and then walked away.

He left me confuse and shock. For the first time in forever I finally believed him. Maybe he was worth it after all. I suddenly found myself smiling like an idiot. I brought my hand up to the place where Hunter kissed me.

I rolled my eyes at myself and walked back into the house. My dad was still standing in the same spot but was now looking at his phone. When he hears me enter he looks up at me, "He is... different," He tells me with a smile.

I giggle, "Yeah, he is," I smile back at him and go up the stairs to my room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You were dying in last chapter because of that cliffhanger I left. Big shocker right? Who did you think it was going to be? Myles, probably Trystian? Nah! It was her dad.

What did you think of the chapter?
Please vote and comment!