I Guess I'm a Mom Now

I regained consciousness and found myself staring up at a dark ceiling. "Are you awake?" I looked over to find the same boy from earlier sitting next to me. 

I sat up and noticed we were sitting under a large tree. "Um... So..." I looked at the boy when he spoke. "A-Are... Are you... hurt?" He asked. 

"Hmm? Oh. Uh, no, I'm fine. Thank you." I assured. He giggled before smiling at me. "Mommy's okay! That makes me happy!" He said. 

"Mommy?" I repeated. That name again. Why does he think I'm his mother. As if reading my mind, the boy then said, "Mommy saved me from big monster!"

Because I protected him from that Grimm, he thinks I'm his mother? I thought. I don't know how to feel about that. 

But what I'm more concerned about is that Grimm I saw earlier. I'm pretty sure neither me or the boy were emitting negative energy. So, why did it suddenly show up like that?

I looked at the boy to see him still smiling at me. "Hey, what type of Faunus are you?" I asked him. "Fau... nus...? What's that?" He replied. 

I rose a brow in confusion. He doesn't know what a Faunus is? Does that mean he's not a Faunus? Then, why does he look like that? 

The wind blew, which caused the book about Grimm to open before stopping on a page in random. I picked it up and saw the page had landed on... humanoid Grimm?!

Wait, there's such a thing?! They exist?! I looked at the page and began to read the passage to myself. 

"While Grimm can take many shapes and forms, in some rare cases, they can also take the form of a human. This is what we call a humanoid Grimm. Their creatures are considered a rare species. While they may resemble the appearance of a Faunus, their red hair and dark, black skin say otherwise. Humanoid Grimm have almost zero to little knowledge of their existence or history of the world,"

I looked at the little boy, then the book, then the boy again. So, this kid... This little boy... is a humanoid Grimm? I went back to the book to keep reading.

"When it comes to a source of food, humanoid Grimm prefer to eat other Grimm. They also don't appear to attack, whether or not they've been provoked. It's as if they're incapable of fighting."

Wait, that's it? The rest of the book is empty. Is this really all that the author knew?

"Um, Mommy?" The boy spoke. "I, um... I am... hungry." 

He was struggling with his words. Is he still learning how to speak? "Mommy?" The boy repeated. "Huh? Oh, right. You're hungry," I remembered. 

According to the book, humanoid Grimm eat other Grimm, but... Well, I don't think there's any Grimm around for him to eat. "Oh! I've got it!" 

I went into my bag and took out some candy. "Here, try this." I said, offering him some. he took some and took a bite. "Oh... Oooohhhh! So yummy! De... Delishious!" He cheered. 

I giggled before petting his head. "Say, what's your name?" I asked. "Name? What's that?" He asked. Well, that answers my question. 

I guess I should name him instead of calling him "the boy". Let's see, what could be a good name for him? "Mm... Ash?" 

The boy responded with a giggle. "Do you like that name?" I asked. "Hehe! Ash!" He repeated. 

"I'll take that as a yes. All right. Ash it is." 

I stood up while grabbing my things and exited from beneath the tree. At the same time, Ash followed behind me. "Where are we going, Mommy?" Ash asked. 

He plans on following me? That's definitely not a good idea. Especially with all these Grimm roaming about. I should probably get him to a village or a town where he can be safe. 

"Well, first, we're going to get you into a small village. Where we'll find good good people who will take good care of you." I explained. 

"T-Take... Take care of... me?" Ash repeated. "What does that mean?"

"Um... It means you can't stay with me. Traveling with me is too dangerous, and you could get hurt, and... Well, bad things could happen."

Ash looked down in disappointment. "B-But... I want to stay with Mommy." He said. I rubbed the back of my neck, unsure what to do. 

If I have the boy stay with me, he'll be in danger. But if I leave him in a village, he'll less likely be in danger. 

"You just found this boy, and you're already deciding to leave him in a village with a bunch of strangers?" My inner self told me. 

When I put it that way, it does seem a bit cruel. But I don't wanna feel like I'm keeping Ash as a pet. 

"And why would you think of it like that? Because he's part Grimm? Shame on you, Lily Rose!" My inner self creamed at me. 

Okay, never mind. Forget what I just thought. This boy is about as human as I am, and who am I to say where he'll be safe?

And sure, I don't know the first thing about taking care of a kid, but it doesn't mean I shouldn't try, right?

"Mommy?" Ash spoke. "Can I... Um... Can I, uh... I want to stay.... I want to stay with Mommy. Please?"

I swear I felt my face turn many, many, MANY shades of red. Darn it all! Why does he have to sound so cute when he asks me like that?! I thought. 

"Aw, of course you can stay with me!" I said, hugging him close to me. I couldn't resist this cuteness. He was just too adorable. 

Ash giggled and hugged me back. So, in a matter of speaking, this could either be really good or really bad. Who knows?