Unexpected Welcome

After being taken to Atlas, I was immediately thrown into a cell. "Don't lock me up! Let me explain! Please!" I pleaded. The Atlesian guards ignored me as they shut the door.

I tried to get it to open, but it was locked. Go figure. I slumped myself against the wall before sliding down into a sitting position and hugged my knees to my chest.

"This was a bad idea..." I mumbled. I hid my face in my knees, alone with me and my thoughts. 

Ruby's POV

After Ironwood informed us of his plan to rebuild Amity Colosseum, Yang couldn't hold her tongue any longer. "Where's Lily? Where did you take my sister?" She asked. 

"Lily is safe. I had her taken to confinement." Ironwood explained. He projected an image on the screen from his scroll as we could see Lily. 

She was crouched down near a wall, looking miserable. "Mommy!" Ash called. "She looks so scared." Oscar mentioned.  

"James, she's just a kid. Ace Ops didn't have to take her like that." Qrow said. "I truly regret how she was taken. It was never my intention." Ironwood apologized. 

"Can we see her?" I asked. "Of course. Follow me." Ironwood said, and led the way. He led us down a corridor until we stopped in front of Lily's door. 

He pressed a button on his scroll and the door slid open. Lily lifted her head and looked at us. "Mommy!" Ash pushed past us and ran towards Lily, hugging her. 

"I was worried I wouldn't shee you again." He said, sniffling. It was Yang's turn to run over to Lily and hug her. "Are you okay?" She asked. 

Lily nodded her head in response as she hugged Yang tightly. 

Lily's POV

I looked at Ruby as she approached us. She smiled softly and gave me a hug to comfort me. "Are you guys alright?" I asked. "I feel like we should be asking you that." Ruby said, laughing slightly.

"I feel so bad! Honestly! If we had known who you were, we'd be laughing over a hot meal right now!" The muscular woman said. 

Before I could speak, she picked me up and spun me around in her arms. "Aw, you're so adorable! I bet I could fit you in my pocket if I really tried! How can something so cute exist!" 

By the time she stopped, my head was spinning. "Dizzy... and... nauseous." I groaned. "Come on! Let me show you around campus!" Penny said before leading the way. 

"So that way's the cafeteria, and that way is the training rooms. Oh! And over there are the classrooms!"

"This all looks great, Penny. But where are we staying?" Ruby yawned. 

"Remember! You're in Atlas now! As the most well-funded school on Remnant, every team at Atlas academy gets their own rooms! And if that wasn't enough-!"

"So, we're staying in the dorms?" Ren guessed. "It'll be just like Beacon again!" Penny cheered.

I was given my own room with Ash as he explained to me what Ironwood told him about his idea for Amity Colosseum. "Amazing," I said. 

What amazed even more was that Ash was able to remember every detail of what Ironwood said. I yawned while stretched my arms over my head. "It's been a long day. We should get some rest." 

"Mommy, can you read me a bedtime story?" Ash asked. "Sure." I said while tucking him in. "Which story are we reading, Mommy?" He asked. 

"Hmm..." I've already told him the story of The Girl in the Tower and The Four Maidens so many times. I'm pretty sure he has them memorized by now". 

"How about... I tell read you a new story. One not from a book." I suggested. "Okay!" Ash agreed. 

"Once upon a time, there was a strong Huntress who was a loving mother, and a loving wife," I started. "The Huntress was admired by all; baking cookies by day and fighting monsters by night. But one day, the Huntress left on a mission to defeat monsters. Her family waited for her to return, but she never did." 

"What happened to the Huntress, Mommy?" Ash asked. "Why didn't she come back?" 

"The Huntress... Her mission was going to be difficult as her opponent was powerful. She fought them for days, wielding her weapon and standing her ground. After a hard-fought battle, the Huntress came out victorious. However, the Huntress had exhausted her strength and passed away."

"What happened to her family? Were they sad, knowing the Huntress wouldn't return?" 

"Well, yes. They were sad. But they didn't fall into despair. Instead, her death only made her family stronger. It inspired her family to be just like her and protect civilians from the monsters." 

Ash gave me a sad look and asked, "Mommy, will we live happily ever after when we defeat Salem?" 

I placed my hand on his head and replied, "I believe we will."

Ash smiled and closed his eyes as he slowly drifted to sleep. I gently stroked his hair, then looked out the window of our room. 

I wasn't sure if we really would have a happy ending after this is over. Salem is a strong individual, and she can't be stopped. 

I shook head, trying to erase the bad thoughts away. "No, we can't give up. There has to be a way to stop her," I told myself. "Ruby hasn't given up hope, so I can't either."