The Apathy

"Lily, wake up. It's time to go." Yang said while shaking me gently. I yawned and rolled on my side. "Five more minutes..." I said in a tired voice. 

"Come on, you have to get up. You can sleep on the way to Argus." Yang said. "All right..." I yawned again. I got up and helped Ruby and Qrow push a trailer out of the garage. 

Meanwhile, Yang and Weiss were getting the bike ready. "Aahh... Mommy, can I go back to bed?" Ash yawned. "In a minute, Ash." I replied. 

"You guys got the bike ready?" Ruby asked Yang. She hummed a 'yes' while gesturing to her bike.

"Well, it's done now, so let's hook this thing up and-"

POP!

Before Uncle Qrow could finish his sentence, the tire he was resting his foot on suddenly popped. "You people are just beacons for bad luck, aren't you?" Maria mentioned.

Uncle Qrow growled in irritation and took a seat on the ground to drink from his flask. 

"I'm starting to think the universe just doesn't want us going to Atlas." Yang said while sitting against the well.

"It's just a flat tire. It shouldn't be too hard to fix." I said while taking a look at the damage. "It's not just that. It's everything," Yang replied. "Storms, crashes, monsters... I'm so tired."

"Me, too. It feels like we're always having to fight to get by." Blake chimed in. "Yeah... But that's what we signed up for." Ruby stated.

"We signed up to save the world. Not just delay the inevitable." Oscar said. Ash walked over to me and took my hand in his. 

"Last night, I... I couldn't stop thinking," Weiss mentioned. "Why are we even going to Atlas?"

Everyone went quiet. Oscar and Blake looked at each other while Ash and I looked at each other. "Weiss, we have to." Ruby said, determined.

"Why?" Yang asked while standing to her feet. "Ozpin hid the relics behind giant doors, under enormous schools. But how long would it take Salem to find a lamp in the middle of nowhere?"

"What about the Grimm?" I asked. 

"They'd find it eventually, sure. But bury it or just throw it down the well, it would take years. It might not even happen in our lifetime. But we can be done with it now." Yang said. 

Weiss, Blake, Yang stood in front me and Ruby. They looked unmotivated like they really wanted to be done with all of this. 

"I am... really... tired." Ruby confessed as she walked over to the well with the lamp in her hands.

Her hand shook as she held it over the well, then sighed. "Ruby, are you sure about this?" I asked, worried.

"I..." She trailed off as she looked into the well, then screamed and dropped the lamp. "Ruby, no!" I said, trying to make a grab for it. But it was too late.

The lamp had already fallen into the well. "No, no, no! I didn't mean to!" Ruby said. "Ruby, it's okay." Weiss said. 

"No! No, there's something down there! I saw it! It was looking at me!" Ruby insisted. I looked into the well, but it was too dark to see anything. 

"Hey... It's okay. You just said you're tired. It was probably nothing. Now, let's go." Yang said to Ruby. 

"What's wrong with you?!" Ruby said, facing her. "We can't just leave! We have to go down there! We have to get the lamp back! Oh, what was I thinking?!"

"All we have to do is fix this trailer. Hey, farm boy. Check the shed for a spare." Uncle Qrow said to Oscar. "I'm not leaving without the lamp! Ruby yelled. 

"I'm with Ruby. I'm not going anywhere until we get the lamp back." I agreed. Sighing, Blake offered to go down there with us, along with Weiss and Yang.

"Ash, stay with the others." I instructed. He nodded and I hopped down the well with Team RWBY. 

We used our flashlights from out scrolls to search for the lamp. 

"I don't see it." I said. "Maybe the current carried it away." Yang guessed. That's when the five of us began to walk forward in search for the relic. 

After a while, we weren't getting much luck. "Oh, come on! Where is it?!" Ruby asked, annoyed. "Turn off your lights and look for the glow?" Blake suggested.

"Okay..." Ruby said, and we turned off our lights. Ruby equipped herself with her Crescent Rose and we continued our search.

"There." Blake said, pointing ahead. "I'll get it." I volunteered. I jogged towards the glow and found the relic.

"Looks like the current carried you pretty far, huh? Guys, I found it!" I called. That's when I heard a noise from in front of me. 

I looked up and my eyes widened in terror when I saw Grimm. But these Grimm were different. They looked like skeletons, like something out of a horror movie. 

I screamed while hugging the lamp to my chest in fear. "Lily?!" I ran back to my sisters and the others. "What's wrong?" Ruby asked. 

I answered her question by pointing behind me as the Grimm appeared. Ruby took out her gun and shot at them, but her bullets didn't seem to affect them. 

The Grimm let out a screech, making us all hunch over. "What... is this?" Yang asked, weakly. "My weapon... feels... heavy..." Blake said.

"Mommy, run!"

We looked behind us and saw Maria and Ash standing there. "Come on! Over here!" He called. We didn't waste another second as the five of us made a run for it in their direction. 

We ran back to the way we came, but the Grimm was blocking our only exit. They screeched again and I felt my body get heavier. What sort of power is this? 

"This way!" Ruby called, finding another passageway. We started running again. But every corner we turned, more and more of the Grimm showed up. It was like there was no end to them. 

The Grimm let out a screech again and I fell to my hands and knees. "Ruby, I... I can't do this..." I said. I just wanted to lie down and rest for a bit. 

"An exit... An exit!" Maria informed. Ruby went back to me and guided me towards the exit. 

"Wait... Wait, where's Ash?!" I said. I looked behind me and saw Ash struggling to stand up. "M... Mommy..." He grunted. 

One of those Grimm caught up to him and extended a claw to his back. "Ash!" I screamed. The area quickly turned white, and a majority of the Grimm disappeared. 

When my strength returned, I hurried to Ash's side, picked him up, then headed to the exit. 

I wasn't able to stand on my feet for long as the Grimm let out another screech and I fell to the ground once more with Ash in my arms. 

It's no use... I can't move anymore. I thought hopelessly. I looked down at Ash as he whimpered with fear. I hugged him tightly, shut my eyes, and braced for the worse. 

That's when I heard the Grimm screech again and my strength started to return. I slowly opened my eyes and saw that the Grimm had disappeared. 

Yang punched the doors opened and we hurried inside only to find ourselves back at the house with Uncle Qrow drinking by the bar.

"Uncle Qrow, get up!" I yelled while shaking him. "Hey, get off me!" He groggily got up from his chair. "What are you doing here?" He asked. 

"We're leaving, you idiot! Come on!" Maria shouted. Yang grabbed Blake's hand and ran out of the house, and I followed after them with Ash in my arms. 

After lighting the house on fire, everyone boarded the trailer and Yang drove us out of the estate.