The City of Argus

"The Apathy... They're not strong or ferocious. They drain your will to go on," Maria explained.

"Bartleby's estate was hemorrhaging money towards the end. He wanted to cut costs on Huntsmen protection. In order to do that, he needed everyone calm. Always."

"I managed to get two away from their pack," Oscar began to read from Bartleby's diary.

"Hike back was miserable, but got the bastards in a cellar. Wife thinks I was out, sealing the waterway entrance. I'll do it tomorrow and tell her the truth once these things take the edge off of everyone. I'm tired..."

"The next page proves that he did. "But not before the rest of the pack followed their missing pair all the way home," Maria mentioned.

"My guess is they made their way beneath the estate, through the water tunnels that Bartleby sealed up the next morning. Bartleby's plan worked..."

She took the book from Oscar and looked at it herself. "Nobody was angry, or sad, or scared. No one was anything. And then... no one was left."

Maria closed the book and tossed it into the snow. "I'm... sorry for what I said. About giving up." Weiss apologized.

"Me, too," Yang said, after she stop the bike. "We can't quit until the lamp is safe."

"It's not your fault," Blake said. "It was those... things."

"I should've known. The signs were all there, but I've never seen an entire settlement withered away like that. I... suppose my mind just isn't what it used to be." Maria mentioned.

"Miss Calavera..." Ruby said. "How do you know so much about the Grimm? And in the tunnels, you knew exactly what to say to make me... to make my eyes do that. How?"

"Well, isn't it obvious, girl?" Maria replied. "I had silver eyes." 

Back when Maria was a Huntress, she inherited Silver Eyes. But she lost them fighting bounty hunters. After surviving the fight, she went into hiding soon after out of fear. 

"I can't believe it. You... You're the Grimm Reaper. You were a legend, and then you disappeared." Uncle Qrow said.

"How exactly does a legend just disappear?" Oscar asked.

"You never used your name. Never showed your face. Lots of us thought you were just laying low. Eventually, we came to accept that you were probably dead," Uncle Qrow said.

"But the stories about you... I based my weapon off of yours. I wanted to be as good as the Grimm Reaper."

"Well, I'm nothing but a disappointment, so you're well on your way." Maria stated. "How can you say that?" Blake asked.

"Child, a Huntress is supposed to protect others until the bitter end. But after I lost my eyes, I only ever looked after myself. Even after my surgery, I was too afraid to fight. Afraid someone would find me again. Finish what the others started," Maria explained. 

"You shouldn't aspire to be like me. Especially, when some of you are clearly stronger already. It's comforting seeing that your generation sees up to the task of inheriting this world. I'm just sorry I didn't do more to leave it in better shape."

"Well, maybe you can do something now," Ruby suggested. "Teach me to use my powers the way you did."

Her scroll rang in her pocket, and she looked to see who was calling. "It's Jaune!" Ruby informed, and Yang stopped the bike. "How?" Weiss asked. "Hello?" Ruby answered the scroll.

"Ruby! Oh, thank you! I've been checking my scroll for your signal since we made it to the city!" He said. 

"The city? Wait..." Ruby trailed off as she looked at the signal her scroll was getting connection, then aimed it in the direction where the connection was getting stronger.

Yang drove in that direction until they stopped at a hill. "Ladies and gentlemen, we have arrived in Argus." Yang announced. After entering the city, Yang locked up her bike.

"So what do we do now?" I asked. But before anyone could answer...

"Cute boy OZ!!!"

Nora tackled Oscar to the ground in a hug as the rest of Team RNJR greeted the party.

"Are you all okay? We've been so worry."

"It's been kind of a crazy trip."

"That's an understatement."

"Wait, who's the old lady?"

We boarded a small train cart and road through the streets of Argus. "We should probably start looking for a ship." Blake suggested, once we got off the cart.

"So, where have you guys been staying?" Oscar asked. "Uh, hehe..." Jaune chuckled nervously, and someone called out, "There you are!"

A woman with blonde hair and blue stood from afar as she had a baby in her hands. "Is that...?" Yang trailed off. "Hey, Saph..." Jaune greeted.

Ruby gasped in excitement as if she seemed to know her. "I'm can't believe I'm meeting your sister! I have so many questions!" She said.

"Oh, I'll give you the rundown later." Nora replied. I pretty much drowned out their conversation as I watched Ash played with Saphron's son, Adrian.

That's when Terra Cotta excused herself when she got a phone call. "Is everything okay?" Blake asked Saphron. 

"Oh... Yeah, it will be. Terra's a technician for the town's relay tower. Unfortunately, the military's radar system is also housed there. Guess what's been on the fritz lately, and who's getting falsely blamed?" Saphron cooed to Adrian. 

"Me." Terra whispered while pointing to herself. "So, what's your plan for tomorrow?" Saphron asked. "Well..." Ruby swallowed her sandwiches, then spoke.

"We're trying to make our way to Atlas. We'll probably start with the military base." She explained.

"So... We kind of already tried that, and it didn't go... super great." Jaune said. "Come on. It couldn't be that bad." Yang said.

"Yeah! Why don't we go down there and try again?" I suggested, smiling. "Heh. Good luck with that." Ian said.

When we got to the military base, the gates immediately closed on us.

"Come on! You didn't even hear us out!" Yang said as her hands gripped the bars. "Our orders are clear! The Mistral Atlas border is closed!" Guard #1 said.

"Please!" Guard #2 said. "Have a good day!" Guard #1 finished his sentence.

"But-"

"A good day!" They interrupted Yang. "Hey, if you don't wanna believe it, I'm friends with Ironwood." Uncle Qrow said.

"General Ironwood!" The guards corrected him.

"Yeah, General Ironwood. Then, fine. But look, we have Weiss Schnee here with us and we're tryna get her home safely." Uncle Qrow explained.

The guards looked at each other, then ordered Weiss to approach the gate. She obeyed and stood in front of them.

"Very well." They said at the same time. "You may speak with our commanding officer." Guard #2 said.

"We will fetch her at once." Guard #1 informed, and the two jogged off.

"They were kind of... um..." Blake trailed off. "Super weird? Uh, yeah." Ruby said.

To be continued...