The Road Ahead

After dinner, Ozpin, who was now in control of Oscar's body, explained to Weiss and Yang about how magic was real, the story of the Four Maidens is true, and how big of a threat Salem is.

"So, the Maidens. Magic. Salem. It's all true?" Weiss asked. "Uh-huh." Qrow answered.

"Miss Xiao Long, is this more or less what your mother told you?" Ozpin asked, but Yang didn't respond. "For the most part." Weiss answered for her.

"You forgot something," Yang mentioned to Ozpin. "You forgot to tell everyone what you did to Qrow and my mother."

"What is she talking about?" Jaune asked. "Oh, great." Qrow mumbled.

"Hmm, that's not a secret I thought she would give up so easily," Ozpin admitted. "Your mother must trust you a great deal. My ability to reincarnate, though a curse, isn't without a few key benefits. Much like the Maidens, I too possess a certain... "magical" power."

"Does that mean you can manipulate the weather, too?" Ash asked. "Not quite. The magic I possessed was much more different," Ozpin explained.

"Using this power, I was able to gift the Branwen twins the ability to "see" more, to move freely, and be unburdened by their natural bodies. I... Well... gave them the ability to turn into birds. Rather ridiculous sounding out loud, isn't it?"

"Uncle?" Ruby asked. "You turned them... into birds?" Ren stated. "Alright, now you're just messing with us." Nora denied.

"What else is new?" Jaune stated. "He's telling the truth," Weiss said. "We saw it. Yang's mom... changed. Right in front of us."

"Why would you do something like that? I mean, what is wrong with you?" Yang asked Ozpin, angrily. "Yang, that's enough. We made a choice. We wanted this." Qrow told her.

"I don't understand. Why turn them into birds?" Ash asked. "I needed to gather information about Salem's plans. It was never my intention to lie to any of you." Ozpin said.

"Professor, if I may. If you want us, your allies, to believe in you, to trust you, you must start telling the truth from now one. Meaning, no more lies." Ash proposed.

"Yeah, and no more half truths." Yang added as she stood up. Qrow and Ozpin looked at each other, and Qrow shrugged his shoulders while Ozpin looked at Yang.

"Understood." Ozpin agreed, and Yang sat back down. "So... What now?" Jaune asked. "I mean, what can we do?"

"Mm, that is a difficult question. One that I believe is best answered tomorrow." Ozpin answered. "Tomorrow?" I repeated.

"The road ahead is undoubtedly filled with hardships and peril," Ozpin said. "However, it's been far too long since you have all been together. Please, take tonight. Enjoy this moment."

After he said that, Oscar returned and freaked out when he realized his hand was on Yang's shoulder. "Oooohhhh!" Nora said. "Raven?! Qrow?! They're birds! Cracked it!"

*****

The next morning, I was up before anyone else was. Normally, I would sleep in late. But not this time. 

I sat in the living room, thinking about everything that's happened up until now. "It seems more livelier here now, doesn't it?" I heard Ash say from behind me. "Everyone else is still asleep."

"Yeah..." I agreed. "But Mother is still awake, even after playing... videogames? Is that what you call them?" He asked. 

"Yeah." I repeated. "So... Is something bothering you? You seem... troubled lately." Ash noticed while taking a seat next to me on the couch.  

"I've just been thinking lately. About how I would like to help everyone. I think a lot about how I would like to be cool just like my sisters. But I can't," I said sadly. 

"I can't fight all that well, and I don't even have my semblance. So, I'd just be getting in the way." 

"I don't think you're in the way." Ash said. I gave a slight smile. 

"It's funny. When I was little, I would always tell myself that I was going to be just like my mom because of how strong she was. But after she died... I changed my mind. I didn't want to become a Huntress. Because I was afraid." I explained. 

"Of dying?" Ash asked. "I think so." I said, unsure. Ash placed his hand near my head, making me look at him. 

"No, it's not that. You're afraid you'll end up like your mother. You're scared of leaving the ones you love behind." 

My eyes widened, realizing he read me like a book. "I hate it when I'm easy to read." I said while pushing his hand away. Ash chuckled at my comment. 

"Everything's going to fine, Mother. Don't forget that you have friends supporting you. Just like how you support them,"

I giggled softly as I could feel tears fill the brim of my eyes. "Oh. Mother is sad," Ash noticed. I quickly wiped my eyes before the tears could fall. "Does Mother need a hug?"

"I-I... I think so," As soon as I said that, I hugged Ash tightly as my face was buried in his chest. "I just don't want to lose anyone else." I said. 

"I understand, and we won't." Ash assured, hugging me back. "You don't know that." I denied. "True. But hope is all we have right now." He said. I sighed softly while closing my eyes. 

"Yeah... I know."