It's Been a Long Day

"Salem can't be killed. You all heard her, too, right?" Yang said. We surrounded Ozpin as he was still on his knees.

"I..." Ozpin tried to speak, but couldn't find his words. "There was so much you hadn't told us! How could you think that was okay?" Yang said.

"Professor... What is your plan to defeat Salem?" Ruby asked him. "I... don't have one." Ozpin confessed. "You don't... have a plan?" I repeated.

That's when Qrow punched Ozpin in the face, sending him to a tree. "No one wanted me. I was cursed. I gave my life to you because you gave me a place in this world. I thought I was finally doing some good." Qrow said to him.

"But you are!" Ozpin insisted. "Meeting you was the worst luck of my life." Qrow stated. "Maybe you're right..." Ozpin agreed, and let Oscar take control.

"What happened?" Ruby asked as I helped him to his feet. "He's... gone." Oscar said. "That bastard! Tell him we're not done yet!" Yang yelled, angrily.

"No! This is different! He's gone! It's like he's locked himself deep inside my head! Our head? Rrgh! I hate this! I want it stop!" Oscar screamed.

"He just left us?" Weiss asked. "What are we gonna do now?" Blake asked, worried. Yang growled in irritation, Ruby and I looked at each other in worry, and Ash whimpered.

"Enough!" Maria called. "We need to get a move on. It'll be dark before we know it, and every one of you is spewing negativity. There's a trail over there. Trails usually lead somewhere."

"Lady, I don't know who you think you are, but-!"

"No buts!" Maria interrupted Yang.

"I understand that you're upset. Honestly, I'm still coming to terms with the fact that this is humanity's second time around," She admitted. "But if we don't move, we die, and I'll be damned if I've lived this long just to die out here in the cold!"

"No, she's right. Come on." Ruby said. We grabbed our stuff and headed to the trail Maria spoke of.

"How do I destroy Salem?"

"You can't."

Salem can't be destroyed. How do we stop her? "Doesn't look like this is gonna let up." He mentioned, making me look at him.

"I just wanna get this stupid relic to Atlas." Blake said. "Let's hope we don't have to walk all the way there." Weiss replied.

"I thought trails led somewhere." Yang said to Maria in a sarcastic tone. "Do you have nothing better to do than to harass a defenseless, old lady?" Maria said.

"What's that sound?" Ash asked. "What sound?" I replied. "You don't hear it? It sounds like... a gate?" Ash said.

But I couldn't hear anything because everyone was talking. "Everyone, quiet!" I called. "Listen..."

That's when all of us heard the sound of a gate or a door creaking open from a distance. We followed the sound until we came across a sign that read, "Brunswick Farm."

"Well, at least one good thing happened today." Blake stated. "It looks abandoned." Weiss mentioned. "It's still better than this." Ruby replied.

"Come on. I think we could all use some rest." Qrow mentioned, and we entered the farm.

"I don't get it. The empty towns I passed though were all damaged or unfinished. But this place looks... fine" Ruby said.

"Maybe everyone left in a hurry? Before things took a turn?" Weiss guessed. Qrow tried opening the door, but it was locked.

"Hmm... Stay on guard." He warned. Once everyone had their weapons out, Qrow kicked open the door and we hurried inside.

It was quiet as if the house was empty. "Close the door already! It's cold enough in here as it is!" Maria said.

I shut the door and Ash hugged my waist. It was evident he was scared, but why? "I saw a chimney from the outside. Maybe we can get a fire going?" Blake suggested.

"Please. I'll look for some blankets." Weiss volunteered. "Yang, go with her." Qrow said. About a minute later, we heard Weiss scream from upstairs.

I quickly followed Blake and Ruby upstairs and found Weiss on the floor. She was breathing heavily as her eyes were fixated on something.

I followed her gaze only to find a couple lying dead in their bed.

After that scare, we returned to the living room as I sat next to Weiss in front of the fireplace

After that scare, we returned to the living room as I sat next to Weiss in front of the fireplace. Qrow came back inside the house after checking the whole town.

He dusted the snow off himself and said, "It's the same in every house."

"What?" Yang asked. "Bodies. Every bed in every home. It's like the whole estate went to sleep and never woke up." He said while warming his hands from the fire.

"We're not staying here, right?" Weiss asked. "I don't think we have a choice. It's a blizzard out there." I said.

"Well, might as well get comfortable." Maria said. She went over to a bookshelf and picked out a book. "Yeah, fat chance." Yang said.

"Okay, then. Let's do something. If this place wasn't abandoned, it might still have supplies we could use." Ruby informed.

"Hey, yeah. Maybe even a car." Oscar agreed. "I'll do another sweep of the grounds. No one else goes anywhere alone." Qrow ordered, then left the house once more.

"Yang and I can search the other buildings for vehicles." Blake volunteered. "Fine. Whatever gets me out of this house." Yang agreed.

They left while Ruby followed them to the front door, along with Weiss. I stared into the flames as Ash sat in my lap.

"How are you feeling, Ash?" I asked him. "I'm okay," He answered. "Mommy, why didn't those people wake up?"

"I don't know." I sighed. "Are we going to go to sleep and never wake up?" He asked. "Of course not. Why would you say that?" I asked.

"I... really have a bad feeling about this place." Ash said. "Don't worry. We won't be staying long. We'll leave first thing in the morning." I assured.

Later that night, we ate some canned food that Weiss and Ruby found in the pantry, then got ready for bed. I tucked Ash into bed before falling asleep myself.