All or Nothing

We all boarded the ship and flew away.

"I'm so sorry..." Blake apologized. "Don't be. This isn't on you." Yang said. "But..." Blake started. 

"You're safe," Ruby kneeled down in front of her and placed her hands over hers. "That's all that matters." She said. Ruby hugged her and looked at Yang as she smiled back. 

"I suppose I have to be the bad guy and say it," Maria announced.

"Getting the lamp to Atlas is still our top priority, and right now, we have the perfect opportunity to head straight for it. We may not get another chance like this."

"No way." Yang said. "We can't leave. Not like this." Weiss agreed. "It's like you said. A Huntress is supposed to protect others until the bitter end." Blake reminded.

Maria looked at Ruby and I, and we shrugged our shoulders as it was unanimous. "We need to head for the Leviathan," Ruby instructed. "Jaune, will you and Ren be ready to mask our ship?"

"I think we can manage." Ren answered. "Got a few ideas?" Jaune asked. "I've got one." I said. I opened the side door and whistled for a Manticore. 

"Mommy?" Ash said with a worry. "Lily, what are you doing?" Uncle Qrow asked. "Either something smart, or something incredibly stupid." I said. 

I flew away on the Manticore as I heard Yang call after me. I flew closer to the herd of Grimm and the Leviathan until I was in front of them from afar. 

"I have to try." I told myself. Taking a deep breath, I concentrated and stretched my arm towards the Grimm. Stay focused and relax. Keep calm. I thought to myself. 

Miraculously, the Grimm retreated and flew the other way, moving away from the city. All except for the Leviathan. 

"Looks like it's just you and me now, huh?" I said to it as it growled in my direction. I've never controlled a Grimm this huge. I couldn't even control the dragon back at Beacon. I realized. 

"How am I supposed to-"

"Need a hand?" 

I smiled back at her, then hopped on the Lancer with her.

"Thank you for your help." I said to the Manticore. It let out a small roar, and it flew away with the rest of the retreating Grimm. "Let's do this together," Ruby said to me. "You ready?"

"As I'll ever be." I replied. "So, what's the plan?"

"We're going to destroy the Grimm using our eyes." Ruby explained. "Wait, "we"? Our?" I repeated. "Ruby, I don't have that kind of power. You know that. I can only control the Grimm. I can't turn it to stone." 

"Lily, you have to try." Ruby encouraged. "But what if I can't do it?" I said. "What if I fail? What if something goes wrong and-!"

I stopped talking when Ruby took ahold of my hand. "I know you can do it. I believe in you." She said. I looked at her with worry before giving a small nod. 

There's no way I can do it. I'm going to get us both killed. Just like...! I gasped as the memory of Shadow getting killed in front of me flashed in my mind. 

My eyes widened in terror as tears began to blur my vision. Before I knew it, the Leviathan had opened its jaws, ready to snap at both me and Ruby. Out of panic, I screamed Jinn's name.

"J-Jinn!"

Time froze and Jinn emerged from the lamp. "Lily..." Ruby said, looking at me.

"I'm sorry. I know I'm only supposed to summon her if I have a question, but... I just needed a little more time." I apologized.