Evacuating Mantle

Everyone boarded the transport, and we made our way to Mantle. Our objective is prioritize citizens' safety over killing Grimm. 

As we were flying to Mantle, we were attacked by a Teryx. Harriet tried shaking it off by twirling the ship around, but it wouldn't budge. 

"I don't think we're staying airborne!" Marrow said. "It's time to go!" Qrow said. "You have your team assignments! Let's go!" Clover said while opening the door. 

I looked outside and spotted another Teryx not too far from the ship. "Perfect." I smirked to myself. "Ash, hold on tight, okay?"

He gave a nod, held onto my waist, and we leaped off the ship. Wait for it, wait for it... Now!

I whistled for the Teryx and it caught us just in time before we could hit the ground. "We're flying~!" Ash cheered while sitting in front of me. 

As we got closer to Mantle, I couldn't believe my eyes. "The Grimm. They're everywhere." I mumbled. "Mommy, look!" Ash said while pointing ahead. 

My eyes averted to the massive hole in the wall, which was supposed to be keep Grimm out. So, that's how they're getting in. "We need to seal up at that hole." I told him. 

I made the Teryx fly down towards the hole, then dismounted from it. "Ash, find something to patch the wall!" I instructed. 

"Like what?" He asked. "Something big! Go!" I said. Ash gave a quick nod and left to go find something for the wall. 

I faced the herd of Sabyrs running towards me and took a deep breath. "You can do this." I told myself. I gripped my weapon and raised my hand out towards the approaching herd. 

"No further," I said, and the Sabyrs slid to a stop. "Leave and don't come back. Please."

The Sabyrs did as I said and ran in the opposite direction. "Looks like I'm getting better." I said, proud of myself. 

"Mommy!" Ash called. I turned around and saw Ash waving to me. "Look what I found!" He pointed to a truck.

"Do you think this will cover the hole?" Ash asked. "More than enough. Get inside!" I intructed. I got in the driver's seat while Ash on the passenger seat. 

I've never driven a truck before, so first time for everything. After turning on the truck, I pressed my foot on one of the pedals and the truck sped up. 

I turned the wheel so the truck's body was in front of the wall. "That won't hold them in for long. Let's do as much as we can, Ash." I said. "Yeah!" Ash agreed. 

As soon as we exited the truck, we were surrounded by a pack of Sabyrs as they snarled at us. "Uh-oh..! Wait, I got it!" An idea popped in my head. 

I grabbed Ash's hand and ran off while yelling, "Catch us if you can!"

My plan was to lure the Grimm away from the citizens. But as I ran, I noticed that more Grimm started to join the hunt, including a Megoliath. 

This somewhat helped because that huge Grimm was mostly stomping on all the Sabyrs until it was the last Grimm chasing me. 

"Lure it over here!" Elm called from afar. I ran in her direction, then quickly dodged to the side. Planting her feet into the ground with her semblance, she smashed her fists into the Grimm, sending it off its feet. 

While it was in the air, Yang ran forward and slid under its stomach, planting bombs on it. "Now!" She called to Elm. 

Elm launched the Megoliath into the air and Yang activated the bombs, in which the Grimm exploded. "Head to the nearest shelter!" Blake called to the civilians nearby. 

"Those shelters are gonna fill up soon." Yang mentioned. "They're all we've got. We just have to hold off the Grimm. 

Yang, Blake, Ash, and I looked at each other in worry, but continued the best we could do. Ash and I split up from Yang, Blake, and Elm.

The emergency alarms rung everywhere as we fought off the Grimm. 

After slaying a Sabyr, I saw a broadcast of Robyn and General Ironwood. They were telling the citizens of Mantle what was going on and why this was happening. 

"He's... He's really doing it. He's telling them about Salem." I realized. "Yay! Way to go, Mr. General!" Ash cheered. "Let's keep at it. We're not finished yet." I told him. 

"Mommy, look!" Ash pointed towards the sky as large Atlas air fleets flew overhead. One of them landed right where we were. The doors opened and a ramp extended for passengers. 

"Everyone, get to the fleet!" I called. The citizens of Mantle quickly boarded the airship. "Yeah, we did it!' Ash cheered.

"Come on. Let's check for stragglers." I instructed. After dismounting from the Megoliath, we ran down an alleyway. 

"Hello? Please, if there's anyone down here, you need to come with us! We can take you to safety!" I called. 

I glanced behind me and swiftly turned around, turning my sword into an assault gun. "Grimm Whisperer! Oh, how I've been looking for you!" Tyrian said. 

"Tyrians Callows," I growled. "It's over. Turn yourself in."

"Yeah!" Ash chimed in. "You're just as annoying as your sister," Tyrian said. "As much as I'd love to kill you, I've been instructed to take you to her without harming you."

Salem? What does she want with me? I wondered. Before I had a chance to ask, Tyrian ran towards me. I readied myself as Ash hid behind me with a whimper.

Tyrian wasn't able to get close as a bullet shot at his feet from above. I gasped in excitement when Clover, Qrow, and Robyn appeared. 

"Uncle Qrow!" I cheered. "You and I have a score to settle, bub." Qrow said to Tyrian. "Lily, get back to the academy. We'll take care of this." Clover said. 

"Got it." I replied. I picked up Ash and ran out of the alleyway. An air fleet that was sent from Ironwood was waiting for us at the end. 

We climbed aboard and the pilot flew us back to Atlas. "Should we really be heading back to the academy? There's still Grimm in the city." I asked the pilot. 

"Sorry, kid. General's orders." He said. But why did he call me back all of a sudden? I should be helping my friends evacuate Mantle. 

Once we returned to Atlas, Ash and I were escorted to our dorms. "Wait here. The General will be with you shortly." The guard said. 

The door closed, but I couldn't just sit and rest when I knew more needed to be done. I paced back and forth while Ash sat on his bed, swinging his legs. 

"Why did the General call us back, Mommy?" He asked. "I'm not sure, Ash," I answered. "We just have to wait until he comes for us."

I took out my scroll when it started to ring. When I answered it, I could hear Ruby's voice on the other end. 

"Ironwood's declaring Martial Law and abandoning Mantle! Salem is coming, and he's going to use the staff to move Atlas! If we don't stop him, Mantle's going to be dest-!" 

Her call was cut off and I looked at my scroll as it read DISCONNECTED. Ash and I looked at each other in disbelief.