Chapter 1

Amelia sipped her cup of tea as she watched the people below run around like little ants. Sitting on her balcony wrapped in a blanket and drinking a warm cup of tea was her way of winding down after a stressful day at work.

She worked as a receptionist at a high end hotel, so she often had to deal with difficult customers. She didn't enjoy her job as she would much rather spend her time by herself, but she was saving up to go to university and the job paid well.

Her true passion lied in photography, she adored how a single picture could capture an endless amount of time. She also liked photography because it was a solo hobby, Amelia wasn't a very good people person despite her job.

She lit a cigarette and watched the world go by, she could stay watching the city for hours.

After putting her cigarette out, she grabbed the bottom blanket she was drowned in and went back inside. Amelia wasn't particularly short, but her chunky knitted blanket made her look a lot shorter than 5'5 when it was wrapped around her.

Once inside, Amelia boiled herself some pasta. one of the few things she actually knew what to cook. She worked a lot so she kept her dietary options to a simple selection. She heard a purr from on top of the cupboard.

"I cant forget about you, can I Alpine?" she opened the cupboard where Alpine was lying and grabbed a pouch of cat food. Amelia was never really a cat person, but Alpine just ended up getting attached to her after she kept feeding him on her lunch breaks; Now he just comes and goes as he pleases.

Her evening consisted of watching old comedies cuddled up on the sofa with a cheap bottle of wine. Alpine would usually accompany her when he felt like being there. Most nights she would fall asleep on the sofa, due to the fact that her bed was hard and she didn't want to fork out on a new mattress when she had perfectly good sofa.

Alpine Jumped up to curl next to her, "what should we do tomorrow Alpine?" She had the day off, which wasn't a regular thing as she worked overtime a lot. Usually when she had days off she would spend them photographing the city.

Amelia didn't really have any friends, she felt as though she scared most people off. She couldn't understand why, as she definitely didn't look intimidating to others, despite her soft grunge aesthetic. It never really bothered her too much though, as she'd been by her self most of her life.

Amelia never knew her birth parents, or why they didn't want her, the only thing she knew about her real family was that her grandparents dropped her off at the door of a hospital. No note or anything like that. She was in and out of foster placements her whole life, until she turned 17 and got a place of her own. For the last five years she has been trying to move on with her life, moving to the city being one of them. The city scared her at first, but she adapted to the brute way of things.

She took a swig of wine, finishing the glass. Pulling the blanket over her more, she yawned. Amelia could feel her eyes getting heavier so she turned the T.V off and blew out the candle on the table. "goodnight Alpine", he meowed back cuddling up further to her.