Chapter 2

Amelia was an early riser out of habit. She usually had shifts starting at 9am so she would have to awake a couple hours prier. She loved the autumn mornings, frost settling on auburn leaves made for a grate photo.

She grabbed woolly beany and her camera and headed out the door. There was a wooded area behind her apartment building where she usually went looking for photogenic opportunities. dewdrops, frosted spiderwebs, the tops of trees, nature was what she loves to capture. There was something about the darker mornings that drew her interest.

After grabbing a couple of snaps, Amelia exited the woods and headed into city.

There was a particular coffee shop she would go to on her way to work. It was renovated from an old church and turned into a coffee shop come library. It was situated ten minutes from her apartment, so it became a regular place she went. The smell of fresh coffee filled her nose as she stepped through the door.

"the usual?" asked the boy behind the counter. Amelia didn't realise she went there that often that they know her order. She started to blush as she nodded. She went and sat at her usual table, just behind a pillar next to the window. She liked to sit there as she felt like she could hide from the rest of the shop behind the pillar.

She placed her camera down on the table and started to look through the photos she had previously taken, deleting the ones she didn't think were good enough. The barista brought over her drink, a caramel latte with a dash of chocolate powder on top.

He stood there slightly longer than she should have, making her slightly concerned. He leant down to whisper something to her, "That guy over there's been staring at you since you walked through the door, you know." He pointed subtly in the guys direction. She nodded and gave a slight smile to the barista, as if to thank him.

She sipped her coffee and took out her laptop to edit some photos. Every so often she would look up to catch the stranger looking at her. He was obviously a few years older than her, but she didn't really mind as he was fairly handsome. His hair was a deep brown and parted at the side, the top reached just below his ears, and ever so slightly slicked back. He kept playing with it when she caught him looking, pretending he hadn't met her eyes. He was sitting there reading a book, 'the Hobbit'. Amelia found it odd that he was reading with leather gloves on, but each to their own she supposed.

She finished her coffee and packed her things away, still looking over at the mystery man for a couple seconds. Without realising it she found her self walking over to him, Amelia had a burst of confidence and wanted to know why he kept starring at her. He quickly buried his head in his book.

She stood next to his table with her arms crossed, "have you got a problem with me or something?" Her attitude shocked him.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to stare, I was just intrigued on what you were editing" His American accent threw her off. His voice was raspy but soft as the same time, not at all what she had imagined. She knew for a fact that what he said was a lie, as the barista caught him looking when she walked it.

Analysing his table she saw a half eaten sandwich, and two empty mugs which looked like they had black coffee in them. "what sort of grown man reads the hobbit?"

"It's a classic!" He looked up at her, slightly annoyed at her question.

"And what's with the gloves? It can't be easy to turn the pages with them on?" She didn't really care about his gloves, but she could see that the questions were aggravating him, and for some reason she felt extra annoying that day.

"I have... bad circulation, and what is this? and interrogation?" He licked his lips as he was getting more annoyed. He didn't expect Amelia to be this inquisitive in him, but he liked that she was pushing him.

"Hey, you're the one who was starring at me!" Amelia didn't know why she was being so mean, she actually quite liked talking to him, even if it had only been brief.

The man started to smirk, "well you were starring back". He wasn't wrong. Amelia was intrigued by him, so she smirked back.

"well, I best be going now anyway" She didn't have anywhere better to be, but she wanted to know if would ask her to stay, or at least give her his name.

She turned to leave, but he grabbed her arm. As he did fear shot through her veins, in her mind she saw visions of war, fighting, and people screaming in pain. When she came back to reality she looked terrified as to what she'd just seen. Amelia became very weak and nearly passed out. She began to wobble, but the man stood up and caught her, placing her back down in the chair opposite him.

"hey, you okay?" He knelt in front of Amelia, looking into her eyes, trying to see if he knew what was wrong. He held her hands in his, he could feel her shaking. He shouted to the barista to get a glass of water. He seemed so protective over someone he had just met.

Amelia came back around, looking confused at what happened. The man reassured her that everything was okay, and that she was safe. "here, drink this." He handed her the glass of water, she drank it as she held her head. She felt as though someone had come along and punched her in the face.

She tried to pass off what had just happened, as she didn't want to attract too much attention to herself, but she felt as though it might be too late for that.

"I didn't get the chance to ask what you name was before" She finally asked him.

"James, James Barnes, But everyone calls me Bucky" A smile edged from the corner of his mouth.

She pauses for a second "well, thank you Bucky"

He smiled, it warmed him to hear her say his name, "and what do I call you?"

"Amelia, Amelia Stone, but everyone calls me Amelia." She imitated him, she thought it sounded funny in her head, but in reality it just sounded stupid, but Bucky got the joke. He sat back in his chair knowing that Amelia felt slightly better.

The two started talking for a little while, but they didn't discuss what happened between them. "So do you live here, or is your home back in America?" she was curious as to why he was in England in the first place. Bucky explained that he was there visiting some old friends, but he'd only be there a couple more days. She was disappointed, she wanted to spend more time with him until left, but she didn't hold up hope. The two had been talking for a while and Amelia hadn't realised that it had started to get dark outside.

"oh shit, I didn't realise what time it was, I need to get back" she was worried about Alpine as she hadn't been back to her apartment all day. She stood up to leave, still slightly wobbly, she balanced herself on against the table.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" Bucky was concerned for her, he didn't want her walking home alone, vulnerable. He got up and paid for both of their drinks, such a gentleman. He wasn't going to let her walk alone, not as it was getting dark.

"come on, I'll drive you home" She looked at him stubbornly, a part of her wanted to go with him, but she asked her self if she should really trust this man she had just met. She insisted that they walk as her place was only ten minutes down the road, but he wasn't having it.

They left the coffee shop and walked down the street to where they got into his car. It smelled fresh, like it was new, very clean. When he turned the engine on 'Hungry eyes' by Eric Carmen played through the speakers. He instantly turned it down, feeling embarrassed.

"Turn it back up, I love this song!" Amelia smiled at him. He rolled down his window and started singing with his hand out the window. She giggled, and he found it adorable.

Bucky pulled up to her apartment block and he turned down the music. They just sat there for a couple of moments, Amelia didn't want to leave, but she also didn't want to invite him in just yet. "Thanks for the lift" she got out and walked round to meet his window.

They shared a look, "I guess I'll see you around then" Bucky smirked at her. She gave a slight chuckle before walking into the building. Bucky watched her walk away, making sure she was safe until she shut the door behind her. She gave him a little wave as she did so.