Chapter 15

Back inside, Steve had stopped Bucky from going after Amelia. As much as he hated it, he knew Steve was right, she needed some space to calm down from what she had witnessed. Bruce and Peter had taken Tony off to a separate room to calm him down, thinking it was best to keep the two separated for a while.

Bucky was practically on the verge of tears, knowing that he had exposed Amelia to the side of him he hoped she would never have to see. He couldn't help but wonder what she thought of him now.

Bucky sat on the floor, leaning against the sofa, Steve and Natasha either side of him. "It'll be okay Buck." Steve rubbed his back, as Bucky put his head in his hands.

"Tony was right, you know..."

Steve and Nat looked at each other, confused as to what he what Bucky was talking about.

"I hurt her... not physically... but I still hurt her..." His voice was filled with regret. "When she was in my head, she could feel everything that I went through. I could tell she was in pain." Bucky's voice cracked as a single tear ran down his cheek. "That's why Tony got to me, what he said...because it was true."

Steve groaned as hoisted himself up off the couch. He limped towards the door as the others stared at him.

"Where are you going" Natasha asked him, Bucky feeling too distraught to notice.

"Well someone's got to check on her" He leant his hand on the door handle, looking back to Bucky, who had perked his head up. He got off the floor and walked towards Steve.

"I'll come with you."

"I think it's best if you stay here, just until we know she's okay." Steve put a hand on Bucky's shoulder, giving him a reassuring nod. Bucky watched from the door as Steve went outside, not letting his sight wander from Amelia.

Amelia was still sat on the ground in the pouring rain, her clothes completely drenched. She didn't care that she was drenched, the feeling of the rain on her skin helped her focus her feelings, calming her down.

"Amelia?" She heard Steve calling from behind her. She turned her head to look at him, her mascara running down her face.

"Steve?" She could barely see him, her vision was blurred from crying. "You shouldn't be out here."

"Neither should you" He limped over to her and helped her stand. As she did, he instantly pulled to to his chest, knowing that all she needed was a comforting hug.

"It wasn't him, you know..." He said over the loud sound of the rain hitting the concrete. "Sometimes these things happen with him, he can't control it. Especially after Tony provoked him."

Amelia started to sob as she looked up at Steve, his face still bruised. "It just scared  me, that's all. I thought he was actually gonna go for me." She looked down at her feet, feeling herself getting worked up again.

"Hey," Steve brought her chin up so she was looking at him, "he would never do anything to hurt you... he loves you." Amelia's eyes widened at his words. She had no idea how much she meant to Bucky, but hearing Steve say those words made her heart melt. A smile grew across her face.

"Really...? He... he really said that?" Her words were in disbelieve.

"He didn't have to. I've seen the way he looks at you. You mean everything to him." Steve said as Amelia let out a little chuckle. "Now come on, let's get you out of this rain and warmed up, you're shivering." Amelia hadn't even noticed she was cold until he had mentioned it.

He put his arm around her shoulder, protecting her from the rain, even though she was already soaked. They hobbled back to the main door. Bucky moved back to the living room, so that they wouldn't notice he was watching. He sat back on the couch next to Natasha, who handed him his beer.