Chapter 9

Amelia was woken up by a knock at the door. She had fallen asleep on the sofa again, still in her clothes from last night. She sniffled slightly as she got up and wrapped the blanket around her, still feeling pretty crappy because of the nightmare she had. She opened the door and leaned against it, "where do I sign?" she questioned, still half asleep, assuming the person at the door was a delivery man.

"Doll?" Bucky laughed at her, admiring how cute she was, wrapped up in her blanket still practically asleep.

"yup?" She tilted her head up, with her eyes still closed. She snapped out of it, quickly realising that it wasn't a delivery man, but it was in fact Buck standing there. Amelia was speechless, "I...How are you...Fuck it, I don't care!" She Dropped her blanket and wrapped her arms around his torso. The hug was well needed. Amelia felt herself melt into him as his arms covered her. He placed a hand on the back of her head, stroking her hair and planting a kiss on top of her forehead.

"Are we just going to stand here all day? Or can I come in?" He smiled trying to pry her away from his body, attempting to walk forward. Amelia wasn't having any of it, she didn't want to move, she just wanted his company.

"No, you're not allowed" As if she was elasticated to him, she sprung back to his torso, wrapping around him tighter than before.

Bucky wasn't having any of it. He peered down the hall checking if anyone was around, before scooping Amelia's arse and picking her up. She wrapped her arms and legs around him, nestling her head into his neck. He was so strong, he was able to carry her with just one arm, with the other he shut the door behind him. "Okay, I like this. This is nice" Amelia said with a tired voice. It's not like she really had any choice of being picked up by Bucky. He placed her down gently on the sofa, before taking off his leather jacket and sitting down beside her. "Wait, how come you're here anyway? I thought you had important mission stuff to do?" Amelia questioned, moving her messy hair off her face.

"After last night I couldn't stand the thought of you being alone again. Especially since I'm the one that's caused all of this." He couldn't help but feel guilty about what has been happening to her. Bucky could see that Amelia wasn't okay, no matter how hard she tried to cover it up. He rested his hand on he cheek, stroking her soft skin with his thumb. Her bloodshot eyes looked up at him, starting to tear slightly. "I'm not gonna leave you Doll. You're not going to suffer by yourself again. I promise."

Amelia leaned into his hand more, pressing it between her shoulder and her cheek. "hmm, you're warm." She tried to avoid talking about last night, as it would just make her more emotionally fragile than she was already feeling. Bucky also didn't want to push her to talk about it, he knew that she was still extremely tired, assuming she didn't get much sleep the night before.

"you're so cute when you're half asleep like this" Bucky pulled her closer to him, letting her lay between his legs, her back to his chest. As he wrapped his arms around her, it seemed like all of Amelia's problems disappeared.

"Considering its like 10am and I'm running off broken sleep, Id say I'm allowed to be half asleep" Amelia's eyes closed as her head leant back on to Bucky.

"If you want to sleep that's fine, I'll still be here when you wake up" Bucky tried to move, as if to carry her to her bed.

"Wait, don't move please, I'm comfortable like this..."

Bucky slumped back down, still holding her tightly, making sure she felt safe. He noticed that she was wearing a thin chain around her neck, He smiled innocently knowing that it was attached to his dog tags. It was in that moment that he knew for certain that she felt the same way for him, as he did for her. He leant in to ear and softly whispered "I think I'm falling in love with you, Amelia..."

Amelia was so tired, she was practically asleep at this point, but she still heard him say it. It warmed her tiny heart, no one had ever said that to her before. She smiled, cuddling up to him more, before finally falling asleep on him.

-

Bucky's phone vibrated in his pocket. He quickly tried to get it, not wanting to wake Amelia up. Looking at his phone, he saw who was ringing him and decided to ignore it, not wanting to ruin the moment between him and Amelia. His phone buzzed again, twice this time, messages coming through saying that he needed to answer. "Fuck" He said under his breath, trying to move Amelia so he could get up without disturbing her.

"Buck?" She said yawning, looking confused at him.

"Sorry, I just need to make a quick call, don't worry I'm sure it's nothing." He gently pecked her cheek, before going out on to the balcony to make the call. Amelia tried not to eaves drop, but she couldn't help it as the windows were thin, meaning she could hear his conversation quite clearly.

"w-wait Sam, slow down, I can't hear you clearly... What?... What do you mean?" Bucky paced back and forth, biting his thumb nail whilst trying to listen to the phone call. "Fuck, okay... um..." He brushed his hand through his hair. Amelia could sense he was stressed about something, so she decided to see what was going on. "No...no, no, I'll be there, just um... " He saw Amelia open the door to check up on him, he gave her a slight worried smile, trying not to alert her that something was wrong. "Sam! Just chill... I'll be there as soon as I can okay? Just... give me a couple hours, keep me updated... please." He ended the phone call. Bucky went over to the edge of the balcony, looking over the city, taking a deep breath, trying to compose himself.

Amelia approached him slowly, not knowing what was wrong, "Bucky? What's happened? Who was that?" She placed her hand on his back, moving it in circles to try to calm him down.

"That was...uh.. Sam, my friend from work..." His voice was shaky, he tried to keep his cool in front of her. "He said that uh... Steve, my best mate, is in pretty bad shape after a mission..." He sat down, and put his head in his hands, his leg shaking.

"shit..." Amelia didn't know how to respond to the news.

"Yeah... Sam said that he's in he ICU... They uh... They don't know if he's gonna make it..." He clenched his fists as a tear fell. Amelia knelt down in front of him, taking his hands to stop them shaking.

"You need to go be there Buck" She kissed his hands, and he looked up at her, his face puffy trying to hold back the floodgates.

Bucky's breathing was jittery, "I want you to come back with me... please." He paused for a second, "I need you to be there with me..." Those words struck her, 'need', he needed her to be there.

"Bucky, of course. He's your best friend, you need to go see him, and if that means me going with you then I will." They smiled at each other, Bucky's breathing slightly calmer now. She helped him up and they went back inside to gather some of her things and freshen up. She gave Alpine a cuddle, and left a note in her neighbours letterbox, letting them know that she'll be gone for a couple days, and asked them to check up on Alpine.

After grabbing a bag with her essentials in it, Amelia locked up her apartment, meeting Bucky in the lobby. he handed her a helmet. "You have been on a bike before right?" He asked her in a hurried manner.

"A bike? As in Motorbike?" She stared at him, thinking he would have had a car, like last time.

"I'll take that as a no..." He gave her a nervous chuckle, "Just hold on to my waist and you'll be fine." He added. The pair put on their helmets and hopped on the bike, setting off for the airport.