Chapter 38

It had been a ten weeks since Amelia was admitted to the hospital. Amelia's wounds had gotten better but hadn't fully healed, which was unexpected considering her abilities. Tony had her moved to a facility which specialises in 'people like her' as he had put it, that way Bucky would be able to be with her as much as he wanted, which was practically 24/7. As much as he was trying to help her, he couldn't help but feel like a part of her resented him, which wasn't entirely false. 

Amelia had been distant with everyone, she felt paranoid constantly, feeling as if she had to watch every door in case Rebekah or Murphy tried to take her again. Most nights she had woken up screaming or crying, having nightmares about the torture sessions, re-living everything in detail. Each time this happened someone, usually Bucky had to snap her back to reality, often it ending in her having to be put on a light sedation just so she wasn't sleep deprived. Seeing Amelia like this left Bucky heart broken, feeling like everything was his fault, still blaming himself for letting this happen, wishing that he could take her place. 

The nurses at the facility had been making Amelia do what seemed like an absurd amount of physical therapy, forcing her to push herself, which internally just made her feel worse. She had been wearing a medical eyepatch since the bruising had gone down in her face. The doctors said that she would never have complete vision in that eye again, considering the rate she was healing, it was like her healing rate was... normal. Human. 

-

Bucky had been called out to a mission with Steve, making sure Amelia was okay before leaving her side. She took a long deep sigh, her hand brushing through the top of her hair. She slowly turned herself to sit on the edge of the bed, reaching for the walker that she had been advised to use in between her P.T sessions. As she tugged at it to move it closer it fell over just in front of her. "Screw it." she huffed, scooting herself off the bed, wobblingly she grabbed the rail at the side of the bed. Her feet slowly hobbled her to the bathroom, She grabbed the doorframe which guided her to the sink safely. Just doing a simple walk like that had left her out of breath. After ten weeks she thought that she would be able to be back to normal by now. She turned on the cold tap and rinsed her shallowed hands, her mind flashing back to her seeing blood on the hands. The light above the sink flickered and suddenly she was right back to being with Rebekah and Murphy. She swiftly looked around, seeing grim tiles and blood stains on the walls. "No!" she cried out before closing her eyes tightly and gripping the side of the sink. "No, no, no." she repeated under her breath, "I'm not there, I'm safe. I'm not there, I'm not there." She reassured herself, slowly opening her eyes, sighing in relief as the room reverted back to normal. Her cracked lip started to quiver, her heart racing. Looking at herself in the mirror, she ripped off the eyepatch and stared at herself, clenching her jaw to prevent her from crying. "Fuck!" She uttered, hanging her head. I can't do this anymore, she thought, Splashing water on her face gently, making sure to be careful around her eye. She traced the raw scar softly with her fingers, trebling slightly as she did. With a deep breath, she picked up her eyepatch and put it back on, adjusting it to her head. 

"Amelia?" A worried voice called.

"uh... in here."  She called back, trying recompose herself as she leaned against the doorway. To her surprise she was Bucky looking concerned at her.

"What are you doing up?" His eyes darted to the fallen walker then to her. "You know you're not supposed to walk by yourself, you could hurt yourself." He rushed over to her, trying to help her back to the bed. 

Amelia rolled her eyes, "I'm fine." she bluntly said to him. 

"you're not fine, what if you'd fallen? What if something happened to you, what if you'd hurt yourself? Made things worse?" A worried look struck across Bucky's face as he sat on the side of the bed, Amelia now lying in it. She bit the inside of her cheek, trying to keep her composure, not wanting to reply, holding back her feelings. "Amelia?" Bucky wanted her to speak to him, for her to say anything in reply.