Chapter 28

Amelia shudderingly reached for her phone and called Steve. "Hello?" He answered. "Amelia... are you there?" Amelia tried to speak but nothing came out. "Amelia... is everything okay?" Steve could hear her shaky breathing from the other end of the line.

"Steve...?" Her voice barely making it over the phone.

"Amelia what's wrong." Steve's voice became more concerned.

"Bucky..." she began to sob quietly. "They... they took him." Amelia dropped the phone on the bed. Her mind replayed the situation over and over again. She couldn't think about anything else.

"Amelia what do you mean?." There was no answer. "Amelia...? Fuck. Right I'm coming round." Steve hung up the phone and make his way to the apartment.

When he got there the door was wide open, a trail of blood leading to the bedroom. "Fuck... AMELIA??" He shouted, storming in. "Oh my god, Amelia." His voice quivering slightly at the sight of her. Amelia hadn't moved since Bucky had been taken, traipses of his blood still on her.

"I-I... Bucky, he... and...I-" Amelia continued to sob and shake, looking down at her hands, holding Bucky's tags which were now covered in thick, dark blood. She looked up at him, doe eyed, her face puffy from crying. "Steve... do you think he's... oh god." She tucked her head into her knees, bawling her eyes out, as if she could even cry anymore.

"Hey, hey..." he got on his knees by the side of the bed and took her hands in his, trying not to be phased by his best friends blood covering them. "Bucky's going to be okay, alright? He's strong, trust me. He's been through worse... it's just a little blood." He looked around the bed, seeing the sheets covered. Steve stood up and encouraged her to join him, "come on, I'll take you back to mine, get you cleaned up yeah?"

Amelia nodded softly before swinging her left over the bed and attempting to stand. As she put pressure on her foot, she winced as she nearly fell to the floor, before Steve caught her. "Woah, are you okay? Are you hurt?" His eyes scanned her body, looking for any injuries.

"I um... my foot. I stood on some glass earlier." She tugged at Bucky's oversized shirt she was wearing, pulling it down to cover her arse, as she was only wearing pants underneath. Steve noticed that she felt uncomfortable and went to root through the wardrobe, finding her something else to put on.

"Here." He softly handed her one of Bucky's clean hoodies and a pair of her shorts. "At least these are clean."

"Thanks." Amelia voice softened and she took them, hobbling off to the bathroom to get changed. She looked at herself in the mirror, seeing red marks around her neck, "fuck." She examined her naked body in the mirror, seeing that some of the blood had soaked through to her skin. She ran the sink with warm water and tried to scrub some of it off, tears started to fall onto her cheeks once again, as she frantically scrubbed. "Come on... please." She continued to scrub, making her skin turn red from the friction. "Fuck..." she sighed as she threw the sponge into the water.

"Amelia... are you okay in there?" Steve knocked on the door. Amelia threw in the clean clothes, her skin still being stained red. She opened the door, looking down at her feet as she hobbled past Steve. "Come here." Steve followed her, turning her around to face him gently. She glared up at him, with puffy eyes and sobbed into his chest. "I promise we'll get him back Amelia...I promise" Steve held her back close to him, making sure to comfort her.

Steve looked around, taking in the state of the room. "Come on, let's go... I'll let Nat know you're staying." Amelia tried following him but struggled to walk, her foot not healing. Steve turned back to see her struggling and walked back to her. "Can I?" He asked, gesturing to pick her up.

"I mean it'll be quicker." Amelia tried to joke, wiping her tears. Steve swept her off her feet and carried her out, closing the door to the mess behind him.

-

Steve walked through the door to his place holding Amelia in his arms. Nat immediately rumpled off the sofa and ran over to them. "Oh my god, Amelia... fuck, are you hurt?" Steve gently put Amelia down once they got to the bathroom.

"Im fine Nat." She sniffled. "Bucky... he... fuck." Amelia couldn't bring herself to say it.

"Bucky got taken." Steve put bluntly, his voice more angered than sorrowed.

"What do you mean he got taken?" Nat turned the taps of the bath on, seeing that Amelia was distraught and still had some blood on her.

Steve sighed. Amelia looked between them, realising that obviously Steve knew more about the situation than he had let on, and Nat didn't have a clue. "The other soldiers... they were after the book, but they took Bucky instead."

"Are you fucking serious Steve!" Nat slapped his arm. "You kept the fucking book?! You idiot!" She turned the taps of the bath off, it being filled.

"Bucky said he could handle it..." Steve stood there looking helpless to Nats yelling.

"Of course he did! You men don't think further than your own two feet! Honestly... Idiots, the pair of you." Nat continued to have a go at him. Amelia just sat on the closed toilet seat, blocking out the yelling, only being able to play over the events in her mind. She picked at her finger nails as the two continued to bicker about what seemed pointless to Amelia.

"Amelia hun..." Nat snapped her back to reality. Amelia looking up at her, feeling completely out of it. "Come on, let's get you in the bath." Steve left as Amelia began to strip down, Nat helping her get in the bath. Amelia was unfazed at Nat seeing her naked, she was just glad that she wasn't alone.

Amelia sat in the tub, her knees to her chest. She turned round to Nat who was trying to get the dried blood out of her hair. "They took him Nat." Amelia spoke softly, everything coming into realisation.

"I know..." Nat responded, feeling sorry for Amelia.

"He could be dead for all we know." Her voice more numb now, Amelia looked down at the now turn crimson water.

"Hey-" Nat stopped washing her hair and made Amelia look at her, "he's not dead, you hear me... he's gonna be just fine." She didn't want Amelia to know that she felt the same, she knew she had to be strong for her.

"You didn't see him... the blood... it- He looked like he knew it was the end..." Amelia's could only think the worst of what happened to Bucky.

"Listen okay, we'll find him. We'll get him back, don't worry." Nat pulled a towel off the rail and covered Amelia's body as she got out the bath. "Why don't you try to focus on healing your foot, yeah?" She tried to take Amelia's mind off things.

"I guess yeah." Amelia sat on the bed and got changed into some of Nats clothes she had borrowed her. "Thank you Nat." Amelia forced a smile at her. Nat nodded back as she left Amelia to have some privacy.

-

Bucky woke up and tried to move, but found himself to injured to do so, "Fuck... Shit!" He winced as he tried to sit up, pain shooting from his abdomen. He held his side as blood continued to slowly pour out.

"Rebekah! He's awake!"