Chapter 10

Amelia tightly clung on to Bucky's chest as they neared the airport. She could feel his heart race out of his chest as they got closer, worried for his best friend. They sped past the first terminal, then the second, not slowing down for the third. "Buck... We just passed the last terminal" Amelia shouted through the wind.

"We're not going through a terminal, Doll" Amelia looked confused at him, as he turned round to her. He started slowing down as they approached a gate. "If there's one advantage with working for the government, this is it." They passed through the gates, turning the corner to reveal a sleek white jet. As they pulled up, Amelia took off her helmet, she was in pure awe of the jet. Bucky found it adorable how innocent and new she was to his world.

As they boarded the jet, Amelia absorbed how high-end everything looked. The seats were a white leather, with caramel coloured linings. Freshly poured champagne greeted them as they sat down. "Are you okay Amelia? You look a bit pale." Bucky Smiled sweetly from the chair opposite her.

"What? Oh, no I'm good, I've just never flown before, let alone been on a jet like this." She peered her head round, still taking in everything. Bucky softly grabbed her hand to comfort her as he could tell she was nervous.

Through out the entire flight, all Bucky could think about was if Steve was going to make it. They had been best friends since childhood, always being there for each other. Bucky couldn't fathom the idea of being in a world without Steve in it, especially after what they had been through together.

When they had arrived at the hospital where Steve was, they were greeted by Sam at the main doors. He stepped forward giving Bucky a hug, knowing how much this would get to him.  "They've managed to keep him stable for now, but it was pretty bad before." He informed Bucky. Amelia was keeping her distance slightly, not wanting to get in the way. Sam had noticed the pale looking brunette that she was, standing behind Bucky. "So you must be Amelia." He peered around Bucky's broad shoulders to talk to her, "I'll tell you something, this man would not shut up about you when he came back." Amelia blushed as she tucked a piece of hair behind her ear, giving Sam a slight chuckle in response.

"I just wish we could have bet under better circumstances" Her British accent stood out like a sore thumb.

"Can we see him?" Bucky's voice started to tremble.

"Yeah of course, Natasha's already inside." Sam gestured for the two of them to follow him. Bucky looked back to Amelia, making sure that she was okay. At that point, Amelia didn't care about herself, she just wanted to be there for Bucky. As she followed Sam and Bucky through the hospital, she found her hand holding Bucky's. She gave his hand a quick squeeze, letting him know that everything will be okay, and that she's there.

Once they got to Steve's room, Bucky looked through the window to see Natasha sitting by his bedside. He had completely frozen up, seeing the one person he looked up to lying helpless in a hospital bed. He turned to face Amelia, his lip quivering as he tried not to cry. "I...I can't do this, I can't see him like this." He took another look at Steve, taking a deep breath.

"Bucky, he needs you. You have to go in there." She stared into his teary eyes. Seeing him this emotional made her heart break, knowing that she wasn't much help to him in that situation.

"Do you mind waiting out here, just for a couple of minutes." He sniffled, holding her hands, before going to see Steve. Amelia watched as he joined Natasha, giving a heartfelt hug before joining her at Steve's side. She could see through the window that Steve's face was barely recognisable, completely bruised and bloodied. He was hooked up to different tubes and wires, helping him the breathe and monitoring his heartbeat. Sam stood next to Amelia with his back to the wall, staring into space.

"Did this because Bucky left the mission?" She said in a whisper to him.

"No, god no, they were on separate missions. Everything was going fine, we thought that we'd cleared everything so we started to leave." Sam groaned, placing his hands on the back of his head. "There was a kid crying in the exit of the building. We didn't think much of it, so Steve went up to him to make sure he was okay." He paused before welling up lightly. "The kid was wearing a bomb vest... Before I knew it I was passed out on the ground. I was far enough away for it not to do any damage...but Steve took the whole lot. It's a miracle he's even still alive." He wiped his eyes, trying to coverup that he was crying.

Amelia put her arms around him immediately, trying to comfort him, not knowing what else to do and still in shock about how it had happened. Sam stood there stood there for a second before hugging her back. "Shit, I'm sorry that must of been horrible to witness." She sympathised for him.

"It's uh, it's all part of the job I guess." He laughed it off, before excusing himself to get a coffee.

Amelia sat in the waiting area opposite the Steve's room. It felt like hours before Bucky came out to see her. Natasha left with out saying anything to them. "Is she okay?"

"Her and Steve are kind of have a thing, so she's just abut upset." Bucky informed her. "Vising hours are over now, but we'll come back tomorrow." He gently smiled at her. As they left the hospital, Bucky placed his hand on Amelia's lower back, walking her out with him. Just the slight touch of his hand gave her butterflies. "Do you wanna get a drink, or just head back to my place?" Bucky asked starting up his bike.

"I'm feeling pretty jetlagged from the flight, do you mind if we just go back to yours?" Amelia responded timidly.

"That's fine Doll. We can order take out or something and just relax." He put her helmet on for her, clipping it under her chin. He put his helmet on, and Amelia got on the back of the back, gripping on to Bucky's waist as they set off.