Chapter 19

Once Amelia had arrived back at her apartment, she dropped her bags on the floor and went straight to her bed. She slumped down on it, forgetting how uncomfortable it was compared to Bucky's. She laid there staring up at the ceiling, just wishing that Bucky was there with her. Amelia felt the base of the mattress shake as a slow purr sounded. Alpine had jumped up and crawled beside her, turning on his back craving belly rubs.

For the next week Amelia had been moping around her work, wearing Bucky's tags under her uniform to keep him close. They had been messaging but not as often as Amelia had hoped. Something seemed off with Bucky.

From Amelia
Sorry I haven't texted, works been manic! Are you okay? How did your last mission go?

From Bucky <3
I'm okay. No one died.

Since coming back, Amelia hadn't unpacked her things or eaten properly. Not like she would eat decent meals before, but now it was even less so. She just didn't have the energy to do anything. She had spent most evenings on her balcony reading her book and having a smoke, before passing out on the sofa. On her day off Amelia had stayed inside, binge watching episodes of 'Miranda' to make her feel better.

Alpine had kept drawing attention to her bags, climbing on them and jabbing it with his paw. Amelia knew she couldn't just leave them lying around forever, so she decided to in pack them and bung the dirty clothes in the washing machine. At the bottom of one of her bags laid a small brown envelope. She picked it up and opened it, revealing a small key and a note.

The note read: 'use it whenever you need. P.S you can always bring Alpine with you. B'

Amelia's heart melted. She thought that maybe this was why Bucky had been blunt with her, because he thought she had ignored the key. She immediately grabbed her phone and texted him a photo of the key, along with the message:

From Amelia
You gave me a key?

From Bucky <3
I mean... it's more for Alpine, but yeah. Is that okay?

From Amelia
It's great Buck... thank you x

From Bucky <3
I just thought you ignored it, that's why I've been so distant.
I'm sorry doll
Hi
From Amelia
I've only just found it, I'm sorry if I made you feel shit about it. I really do appreciate it x

-

Amelia's boss had been getting on her nerves, asking her to come in on her days off, staying later than usual, and the customers were just topping it all off. She had finally reached her limit and told her boss that she quit. After all, she could focus on her photography now, as she still had some money saved up. She had left her work early, after her boss yelled at her.

As she got to her apartment door, she noticed it was open slightly, hearing some rustling coming from inside. She pushed the door open slowly to check what was going on. As she did so, Amelia saw a couple dresses in all black rummaging around her things. She could tell that one of them was a woman by her figure, and she could hear deeper mumbles coming from the other, guessing he was a man.

The man heard a creek from the front door and saw Amelia looking through. He ran out, bumping into her as she did so. Amelia pushed her way into her apartment, before the woman had ran up to her and knocked her down. Amelia grabbed her ankles pulling the woman down with her. The woman turned over and kicked Amelia in the face with her boot, before getting up and running out. Amelia was left there with her apartment in ruins. She heard a loud meow coming from the bathroom, which made Amelia rush over to check if Alpine was hurt. To her surprise he was completely untouched. She picked him up and cuddled him close to her chest as she slid down the bathroom wall, sobbing her eyes out.

Amelia kept thinking that they must have known her schedule, they must have been watching her for a while to know when she would have been at work. If she hadn't of come home early, who knows what damage they would have done.

She pulled herself together and mustered up the strength to stand up. She walked through the tip that was her apartment and tried to put things back. She picked up some of the broken glasses that had smashed, but as she did she cut her hand on one of the shards. "Agh, Shit!" She groaned as it started to bleed. She grabbed the first aid kit from the back of the cupboard. Picking out a bandage and some scissors, she wrapped it around the wound.

Having enough of looking at the mess, Amelia went out to sit on the balcony. She lay down on the sofa outside and lit a cigarette, trying to calm her nerves. Amelia had thought about phoning Bucky, but she didn't want to disturb him as he had a long week with the mission, meaning he was still probably asleep. She felt hopeless knowing that they had taken most of her valuable things. It just hadn't been a good week for her, everything from not being with Bucky, to her quitting her job, and now this.

All Amelia wanted in that moment was to be sat in Bucky's arms, feeling loved by him.

-

AN- all I could think about when writing the part Amelia grabbing the woman's ankles was this 😂