Chapter Nine

"Are we ready?" Amara asked, securing her belt around her waist, three guns attached to it.

They nodded, signaling that they were ready to leave. She clocked her last gun and put the last knife onto her thigh, looking back up to them.

"Пошли." (Let's go.)

She opened the supply room door, the darkness of the night quickly surrounding them as they tiptoed through.

After a couple minuets, their eyes finally adjusted and they were able to move a little faster, making sure to not make any sound as they entered the kitchen, exiting through the other side.

Amara held up her hand when a sound echoed across the walls, a shadow walking toward where all five of them stood.

Mason pushed them into a small bathroom, his ear pressed against the door. A clattering sound made Amara wince, turning toward where Alec stood, a broken vase in his hands.

He mouthed sorry and each of them held their breaths as a shadow was visible underneath the door, the knob slowly opening.

When another clash came from across the house, the knob stopped turning and the person walked away, making each of them let out a sigh of relief.

"You fucking dumbass!" Derek whispered, lighting shoving Alec angrily.

"Ok, let's get out of here." She opened the door, and they continued to slowly walk toward a window that was in the back room, hidden from eyesight.

Amara climbed through first, followed by the rest of them. A sudden bark made them all freeze.

"Help!" Jack whispered, holding onto the window sill as he tried to pull himself out. A tiny white dog stood on the inside, it's teeth clamped onto Jack's ankle.

Mason and Derek made their way to grab onto Jack's arms, pulling him the rest of the way through.

Alec quickly closed the window shut and the dog jumped onto the window's ledge, making them all jump back.

"Damn, that dog really got to me." Jack said, checking his ankle.

"Suck it up, we have to leave now if we're going to make the plane." She told him, pulling out her keys in her pocket and running toward the garage.

They all filed into the large SUV, quickly pulling out of the driveway, the house now far away in the distance.

"We did it!" Jack cheered, making them all chuckle in relief.

"I can't believe we actually pulled that off." Mason said from the wheel, his eyes turning toward where Amara sat in the passenger seat.

"It's not over yet. We still need to get back into the house." Her head was on her hand that was in the window, her gaze on the trees that passed by.

A hand on her thigh made her snap out of her daze and when she looked over, Mason's hand was directly on her leg, and she looked up to him.

"It will be okay, Amara." He told her, looking at her, taking his eyes off the road. His thumb started to trace circles just like the other day when his hand was on her shoulder.

She put her hand on his, and held it, and he gave her a smile when he looked back ahead of him, the smile never leaving his face as they drove to the airport.

✻ ✻ ✻ ✻ ✻

"Once we arrive in Italy, we will go to his base." She told them, pointing toward a small map of the compound Luca was living in.

"How do we know he's staying there?" Derek asked, coming back to them with a cup of coffee in his hand.

She pulled out her phone, showing them a picture of Luca and a girl on his arm, a small bathing suit on her body as they stood at a beach.

"According to Steve, base 413 is on a beach and it just so happens base 413 is where Luca lives." She said, putting away her phone.

"So you're telling me, he let's a girl post a picture of them and an entire mafia can find where he's hiding? What a dumbass." Alec chuckled, his hands going behind his head as he leaned back in his chair.

"Let's hope it's just as easy getting inside as it was finding it." She closed the map, taking a sip of Derek's coffee.

"Hey! There's a machine over there, make your own!" He snatched the cup back and she licked her lips.

"Yours taste so much better though." When she got up she kissed him on the cheek and he let out a grunt, bringing the cup back to his mouth.

She brought the map to the back room, putting it inside the bag they brought. A clear of Mason's throat startled her, and she glared at him.

"You have to stop sneaking up on me." She told him as she zipped up the bag, sitting on the bed that was inside the room.

He sat next to her, his body facing hers as he watched her play with her fingers. He put his hand on them, stopping her from moving them any further.

"We will take him down Amara. Luca won't see the light of tomorrow." He said and her eyes met his.

She let out a sigh of laughter, "I cannot wait to put a bullet through his head." She said, throwing herself back against the bed, Mason watching her as she stared up onto the ceiling.

"Maybe my father will let me back on this mission once he hears that I killed him. Maybe he'll be proud of me." She said.

"I'm sure he will. Especially since you're gonna kill the son of Marco Peretti." He chuckled, making her smile.

The sound of a ding made them stop talking and the pilot's voice sounded around the room.

"We will be arriving in Italy in five short minuets, please fasten your seatbelts as we prepare to land."