1 : a r r i v al

"Why the hell does that jerk have to fly so damn fast?" the pink-haired girl grumbled loudly as she darted through the air. Her flaming wings left streaks in the sky behind her as she tried to keep low enough to stay near her team without hitting the waves.

The blonde below rolled her eyes, "At least, you're flying. I'm running on water here."

"Sorry, V" came from the poor black-haired girl who was slung over her sprinting friend's shoulder, "I'm not any help with stuff like this."

"It's fine, Amber." the flying girl, Kia, grinned, "That just means one of us will have full power when we get there."

"Speaking of there, why the hell is he headed for Tenrou Island anyway?"

The blonde, V, received no immediate response. Instead, her flying friend rose higher into the sky as two specks came into view on the horizon. One was unmistakably their destination, the giant Tenrou tree looming over the island, but the second was more concerning. The fiery girl's eyes locked onto the infamous ship that belonged to the dark guild Grimoire Heart. With her keen sight, it was easy to make out the mangled state of the vessel, but that wasn't what had put her on edge. It was the dark-haired figure she could see standing at the top. Even though they were still a great distance apart, her black eyes locked with his.

"Damn." Kia grumbled before turning to gaze back down to her two friends, shouting, "I'm going on ahead. Just follow my trail."

She didn't bother to wait for a response. Verani would have no problem getting to the island, but if Kia didn't get a move on she might go after the Black Wizard instead of her current target. Folding her fiery wings in and pushing more flames out her feet, she went plowing through the sky at a great speed.

||~x~||

The force of Fairy Tail stood in front of their Master protectively as the three Dragon Slayers landed after their combined attack against the Black Dragon. They watched in hope and wonder as the water began to settle.

"Did it work?"

Gildarts stopped behind the redheaded Requip wizard, "Of course not."

Gray turned, "What do you mean?"

The older man's expression remained unchanged, "He's not even using half as much power as the time he fought me. He's playing with us."

On cue, the ground underneath them began to crack, the island crumbling away to make room for the ancient beast to rise back into the sky.

"He's back in the air!" Erza called, though everyone already knew the grime fact.

Gray spoke up next, "All our attacks didn't even put a single scratch on him!"

The three Dragon Slayers stared in disbelief. From where Gajeel stood, he stared, "His power's unbelievable."

"We gave it everything we had. Three Dragon Slayers all at the same time." Through her shock, Wendy remained sitting upright, "Our whole guild went against him, and it still wasn't enough."

"This shouldn't happen. I'm supposed to be a freakin' Dragon Slayer," Natsu hit the ground, "so why the hell couldn't I beat him?"

Their companions stood nearby, all three Exceeds staring up. Pantherlily was the first to speak, "What do you think he'll do now?"

Still trying to be optimistic, Happy answered, "Maybe he'll just decide to go back home."

"We can't let down our guard." Carla warned the others just in time. Acnologia opened his maul slowly, air and ethernano swirling into his body.