20 : a w a k e

Happy and Lucy were sure Natsu was about to leave a scorch mark on the floor where he had been pacing, but they were both more amazed that he was still staying in the guild like he'd been told. Master wanted to get more information once Verani woke up before they charged in. It also didn't help that they had no idea where the girls had been when they were attacked.

Wendy was sure that she would be awake in a few hours. The majority of her injuries were minor except for the one in the back that had been laced with poison. Between the poison and the rapid magic exhaustion from zipping back to the guild at full force, she would be sleeping for a bit. Porlyusica seconded what the Sky Dragon Slayer had claimed once she had arrived, before barring everyone from the room except the two Dreyars and the healers.

"Crowding her won't speed up her recovery any." The elderly woman had scolded.

"Natsu," Lucy finally spoke, "I'm sure Kia's fine."

"Aye." Happy raised a paw in the air, "Kia is as tough as they come. She can handle anything."

The two waited for a response, but the Fire Dragon Slayer's steps didn't falter. Even with his extremely sensitive hearing, it was as if they hadn't said anything at all. But he was forced to stop when someone placed themself in the middle of the path he had been walking constantly.

"Move."

"Sit down, Flame Brain." Gray had his hands in his pockets, "You're only making everyone more anxious."

"Well I can't just sit here and wait for something to happen!"

"That's all we can do right now!"

"Forget this!" Natsu threw his hands up, "I'm doing something!"

Suddenly the infirmary door shot open, revealing a small glowing figure. Master's eyes peered down the hall toward the expected culprits. "Will you brats shut up?!"

"He started it!" Both boys pointed at the other before sparks started flaring between their eyes again.

"Your ruckus won't help anyone get any better any faster!"

A small chuckle came through the open door behind him, "Maybe you should practice what you preach, Grandpa?"

Makarov's eyes widened as his own form snapped to look back inside. Laxus had sat up straighter as he relaxed. A faint smirk rested on Verani's lips as she peeked at the door through her one opened eye.

The guild's master stepped back into the room, "I'm too old for these types of scares, young lady."

"Yeah," she closed her eye as she took in a slow breath. "Wasn't the plan."

"Do you feel up to explaining what happened?" Laxus asked, causing Verani to open both eyes this time.

"Yeah, but no one's going to like the answers."

||~x~||

The hardy group stood around the infirmary as Wendy helped Verani sit up straighter. She felt a lot better but that stab wound in her back had been deep and even with Wendy's healing magic, the blonde girl could still feel the sting from the poison.

Laxus was still in the chair he had been occupying since Porylusica had left, their grandfather beside him. Next to Wendy on the other side of the bed stood Lucy and Natsu, Happy perched on the Dragon Slayer's shoulder. Gray and Erza had stopped at the foot of the bed. Even though they weren't in the room, Laxus could tell the Thunder Legion were eagerly waiting in the hall.

He leaned forward in his chair, "So what happened?"

Verani's eyes were trained on her sheets, "They were waiting for us."