17 : c o m f o r t s . o f . h o m e

It was nice of the King to provide them with carriages for the ride back to Magnolia, but it felt like it was going to take them forever to get there. If Kia had been fully healed, the girls probably would have just traveled by their usual means. And a certain someone was making that fact easily known.

"Are we really not there yet?" Verani leaned her head against the window.

Amber sighed from her seat beside her, turning the page of her book, "If you're that bored, why don't you take a nap?"

The blonde grumbled, "But I already took one..."

"I don't care what you do, just don't start whining, because you won't stop until we get there."

"Gee thanks, Amber."

But the Blood mage didn't respond, only continued the feat of trying to enjoy her current read with the antsy Dreyar beside her. It was at this moment that said blonde noticed the distant look in the onyx eyes in the seat across from them. Kia was turned sideways in the seat, one arm resting lazily on her knees as her gaze watched the empty fields outside.

V's tone shifted, "You're still worried, aren't you?"

Even without looking, the Phoenix Slayer knew the question was directed at her, "It's been too quiet."

"What part of fighting a crazy man from the future and a handful of dragons do you call quiet?"

Kia closed her eyes, "You know what I mean, V."

She leaned back in her seat, crossing her arms over her chest, "I also know that you need to take more than two seconds to fully recover before you even think about going off after either of them again."

"You'd be better off telling that to a brick wall," Amber still didn't look up, "and we both know that."

The blonde grumbled as she scratched at the back of her head, "I know, but I can't just sit here and watch as she keeps running herself into the ground."

"I'll be fine." Kia turned to her friends, "I know what I'm doing."

"You know that does nothing for my nerves, right?"

Amber nodded, laying her book in her lap, "You tend to do more reckless things when you understand entire situations."

Kia rolled her eyes, "Thanks for the vote of confidence."

V crossed her arms over her chest again, "Don't act like you don't know it either."

"I know." The pinkette sighed, "You guys jump me about it enough."

"Apparently not, because it hasn't gotten through that thick skull of yours."

"You would have pulled your hair out already if I wasn't the least stubborn Dragneel."

The blonde's eye twitched, "That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about!"

Amber sighed, peeking out the window in hopes of seeing any landmarks that would tell her they were close to home.

||~x~||

Nobody was expecting this.

The streets of Magnolia were lined with its citizens, creating a pathway for the members of Fairy Tail to walk down the center of town. Once they passed Kardia Cathedral, there were even more people.

"I can see 'em! Fairy Tail is coming home!"

"Over here, hurry, come check 'em all out!"

"We're all so proud of you! Welcome back!"