42 : n e w . l i v e s

(2 Months Since Tartaros)

It was nothing against the town, the guild, or the others, but Amber just didn't feel right here. This wasn't where she was supposed to be.

At first, she tried to tell herself that it was because this had been the longest time she had just sat around a guild and worked regular jobs since before the girls left for their search not long after Gildarts went to tackle the 100 year quest. Then there was that lack of the two people who had been at her side for years. And even though she and Verani were staying in touch through the letters they were sending back and forth each time Sherry and Ren visited one another, it wasn't the same.

But ultimately, this wasn't Fairy Tail.

Amber had been six when her family had moved to Magnolia. Even before they disappeared, she had been close with the few kids who were at the guild, especially Verani and Gray.

The dark-haired mage sighed as she focused on the list of jobs tacked up on the board, Lamia Scale had their own system. While a majority of the jobs were posted, there was always a list of harder or specialty ones that you had to request directly from the Old Hag. It was her way of making sure people weren't trying to run off with requests that would be too much for them to handle.

Nothing was jumping out at her, but she pulled one of the flyers anyway. She needed to go out and do something.

"I'm taking this one," Amber flashed the flyer and a smile at the desk before heading for the door. She only paused by one table to leave a message.

"Hey Yuka, will you let Wendy know I'm taking a quick job? I'll be back in the next day or so."

"Sure thing."

"Thanks," she waved over her shoulder as she left him to return to dealing with Toby's antics.

'He deserves a reward for his patience.'

But Amber pushed the thought away, looking over the request she had grabbed. It was from a kind old man out past the edge of town and he was needing some help with a pest problem. He claimed that something had been ruining his garden/crops each night and he had yet to catch the rodents doing it.

"So that's the one you chose?"

Amber jumped at the sudden voice next to her ear. Turning as she landed, she easily found the culprit since he stood there smirking at her reaction.

"You should pay attention to your surroundings more. If I had been in a dark guild, you would have been in trouble."

"Noted," she grumbled, "keep an eye out for assholes." She crossed her arms, "But was there a reason why you stopped me?"

Lyon stood with his hands in his pockets, "To see what job we were doing."

"What do you mean we?"

He sighed, "She'll never tell you this, but every time you go off on a job alone Wendy goes crazy. She worries about you."

"And what does that have to do with you?"

"If I go with you then you aren't alone and she won't be a nervous wreck."

Amber rolled her eyes even if she knew he had a point, but she wasn't about to admit that to him directly.

"And I guess I don't get a say in this?"

Lyon shrugged, "No."

The Blood mage sighed as she let her arms fall back to her sides. She didn't even bother responding as she turned to continue on her way.