29 : r e c o v e r i n g

The wind created faint whistling through the old building that was behind her on the hill, the one that Fairy Tail had used for their guild hall while she and the others were suspended in time on Tenrou Island. The slightly crisp air sent a shiver through her as it wrapped around her bare feet as she let her legs dangle off the edge of the small cliff that overlooked Magnolia.

As peaceful as the evening was, the blonde was still in a grumpy mood.

That tall idiot had hidden her sneakers from her so she was less likely to go running off after Laxus and the rescue team. Verani had half a mind to cloak herself in lightning and go anyway just to prove a point. But it wouldn't accomplish anything now.

"I didn't think I would find you out here."

The blonde didn't even bother turning to look at her brother as he came up behind her. She grumbled, "I didn't need three babysitters."

Laxus stopped right behind her, arms crossed over his chest, "That's not what I was hearing from Mira yesterday."

V leaned back against his legs, huffing, "And what did she tell you?"

"You were about to put my friends in the beds around you."

"Damn right I was."

Laxus sighed, "Was it really that bad?"

"I still don't know what Bixlow did with my shoes."

He raised a brow, "Your shoes?"

"Yeah." She crossed her arms, "The asshole took them so I couldn't sneak out when they weren't looking."

"Was that before or after you tried to fry them the first time?"

"Hey the first time was an accident..." It was the truth, but it wasn't something that Verani wanted to admit. Honestly, she had lost control of her magic. Porlyusica had told her that she couldn't use her magic for a few days because of how long the poison had gotten to run throughout her body. With her go-to spell being her transportation with lightning, the healer didn't want her using any of her magic. That type of magic wouldn't do anything to help with her healing process.

Verani hadn't even been thinking about her magic when she started losing her patience. What made it worse was that it was Freed who she had actually snapped on. Thankfully, his reflexes were excellent, making it possible for him to dodge the stray bolt. But V hadn't even responded to it, she didn't want the trio to know that she hadn't been in control at that moment. Something like that hadn't happened since she was little and had to go on missions with them and her brother.

Laxus had picked up on the words that she had mumbled. It was clear to him what the meaning behind her tone was, even if Freed had already suspected that his sister hadn't meant to lash out at any of them.

"You know that they were only doing what I asked them to?"

"That's why I'm telling you that I don't need three babysitters next time." She was grateful that he was shifting the conversation. "The next time you feel that it's necessary to have someone watch me, just ask Mira."

His brow quirked again, "I thought I was sparing you the wrath of the She-Devil when you would decide to start back talking her."

V chuckled, "I'm not that stupid, Laxus."

His shoulders relaxed as he let his arms fall, one landing on his sister's head to ruffle her hair. Verani swatted at his hand, "Not the hair."

"I'll keep that in mind."

A silence fell over the pair as V flattened her hair back down, Laxus moving his gaze to look out over the sunset beyond the town. He could definitely see why she had retreated to this little corner of the past. He knew better than anyone else how necessary it could be to have some time to yourself after having the Thunder Legion around you 24/7. He would have to remember this.