22 : c a v e r n . o f . a s h e s

The morning air held a chill that clung to their skin in an uncomfortable manner. It was almost as if Mother Nature knew what was going on and could read the mood. But even though they were beginning to head up the side of a mountain, the air wasn't growing any colder. It almost felt like it was growing drier.

"Are you certain they came this way?" Erza asked the pink-haired boy male who was leading their group.

Natsu had hardly said a word after leaving camp, other than to warn them of the terrain changing. The determination in his eyes would have made most people shrivel. "There's no mistaking it. They brought Kia and Amber this way."

Lucy looked around them as they finally broke the treeline, "But what could be out here?"

"Whatever it is," Cana said, "they seem to know where they were going."

Lily floated up to sit on Gajeel's shoulder, turning to the bluenette walking beside them, "Did you find anything that mention this area when you were researching Fire Bird?"

Levy nodded slowly as she thought, "Yeah. There was something about a hidden sacred ground that their guild has."

"Sacred ground?" Gajeel's studded brow quirked, "Like Tenrou Island?"

"In a way, there wasn't anything specific about if it could grant their members any special powers or protection. The book it was mentioned in didn't have an exact location either, just that it was believed to be somewhere in this mountain range."

"If that's the case," Gray said, "why would they bring the girls to their sacred grounds? Wouldn't they have been better taking them back to their guild or somewhere they could hold them easier?"

There was a silence that crept over the group. No matter how they looked at the situation, there were just too many unanswered questions. Even for the two S-class wizards, they could only feel a growing anxiety over what they knew without having a why to back up the enemy's actions.

"Guys, look!" They all turned to the little Dragon Slayer, seeing her pointing up ahead. "There's a cave."

Natsu paused to sniff the air again. "Their smell is coming from that direction."

Erza stepped up, passing the Fire Dragon Slayer, "Then let's keep moving."

And there was no debate. The rest of the group immediately matched Titania's strides. It was only a few more minutes for them to reach the opening in the mountainside. Natsu lit his fist as Lucy and Wendy held up a few old sticks that they had grabbed on their way up.

"The air smells off," Gajeel grumbled as he waited for the others to finish. Lily sat on his shoulder, staring off into the darkness with his partner.

"What do you mean?"

The Iron Dragon Slayer scrunched his nose, "There's a faint odor that smells like rotten eggs."

The walls around him grew brighter as Levy stepped up beside him with one of the torches, "Maybe there's natural gas around here somewhere." She instantly paled at the knowledge, "Then we can't use torches, we'd just blow ourselves up."

She quickly waved her own torch, putting it out before drawing in the air with her finger, "Solid Script: Light."

The word appeared before them, landing gently in her hand as the others followed suit putting their torches out.

"Smart thinking, Levy." Gray stepped up with the others.

Gajeel rested an arm on her head, "Yeah, good going, Shrimp."