4 : p o w e r . g a p

It was late morning when the girls had mounted the hill for the "country guild hall" as they called it. Master had told everyone to be there by noon because he had an announcement. Though Kia had a fairly solid guess what the announcement was about, she hadn't told anyone, not even the girls. Which led to Verani trying her best (and most pitiful looks) to try to get more from her grandfather, but he had just bolted. He knew there was no way he could keep up his stern facade much longer against his only granddaughter.

Kia sighed, shaking her head as they approached the archway that read the guild's name.

At the sound, Amber peeked up from the book she was reading on runes, "What is it, Kia?"

"Who's causing the disturbance?" V smirked.

Their friend shook her head, "Wait a few more steps and I'm sure you'll hear him."

True to her word, it had only taken six more steps up the hill before the all-too-familiar voice reached their ears. They all waited for him to pause to learn who he was complaining to now. To their surprise, it was Happy's voice that responded, not Gray's or Gajeel's.

"Well, don't you see that I'm doing all this yard work over here? Not laying around?"

"It's your turn. Why should I care?"

"Because your partner is working his tail off, while you're dreaming about stuffing your face! That is so not cool!"

The three finally crested the hill, easily spotting the pair causing the commotion. Happy was standing on the tree stump that was used for chopping wood, Natsu closeby with a broom in hand. So far it looked like their only audience was Lucy, Wendy, and Carla.

"We're partners on missions and stuff," Happy crossed his arms, "But stupid yard work is a completely different thing."

Natsu pointed at the Exceed, "What in the heck is the matter with you, Happy?! How could you be so cold?"

Kia sighed while the blonde beside her started chuckling, "Are they like this at home?"

"Unfortunately more than I care to admit."

"And it might be getting worse."

The two followed Amber's gaze, easily catching sight of the Ice-Make wizard who was cutting across the yard for the vocal pyro.

"So what are you two idiots flapping your gums about this time?" Gray said, "The work would go a lot faster if you didn't stop to complain about it."

Natsu turned, "Who asked you, frostbite? And for the record, I'm not complaining about cleaning up." He pointed a finger at Happy, "I'm just saying that cat should help!"

But his buddy wasn't even on the stump anymore. He had moved over to start up a conversation with Carla when the opportunity presented itself.

"You can't just walk away while I'm talkin' to you!"

'Oh brother.' Kia sighed, resting her palm against her face.

It was at this point, four more figures joined the commotion: Max, Nab, Warren, and Vijeeter.

Max stood with one hand lazily on his hip, "Whaddaya know. It's been seven whole years and Natsu hasn't changed one bit. Still a brat."

"And that brat's sister can hear you!" Verani laughed at the immediate reaction she got from not only the Sand mage, but the three behind him.

Max held his hands up in front of him in surrender as he faced the girls, "Sorry, Kia."

The Phoenix Slayer just waved a hand. It wasn't like she could totally disagree with what he had said, but it wasn't like they had the time to really change or grow since they headed off for the S-Class trials. But she could say that she wasn't the biggest fan of her little brother being called a brat, flame brain or pyro, but not a brat.