51 : t h e . f a i r y . a n d . t h e . s p r i g g a n

From there, Master Mavis took over, explaining to the guild her own personal past with the Black Wizard. The mood in the guild teased once again, but many were more prepared than they had been for Kia's story.

The Phoenix Slayer had slipped off the side of the stage, sitting at one of the front tables, both because she had needed to relax and her friends wouldn't let her argue otherwise. So she sat and listened to the story that she knew bits and pieces of from her last year with Zeref, trying to ignore the occasional pair of eyes that would wander over in her direction.

Kia listened as Master Mavis had finished explaining her past and had begun going more in-depth about what Fairy Heart really was, trying to clarify what she had meant by an everlasting source of magic.

"Consider the weapon developed by the old Magic Council, the Etherion Cannon. It was powerful enough to wipe out an entire country with one blast. The Fairy Heart contains enough magic energy to fire an infinite number of Etherion blasts." She went to pause, but corrected herself. "Or perhaps, contains is not the right word for it. It can generate that kind of magic energy. Enough to wipe out all countries."

'Why is Zeref after it then?' Kia tried to piece together some sense of what the Black Wizard might be planning, missing some of the questions the guild had.

Master Mavis started again, "Well, my theory is that they want to use it as a weapon in the fight against Acnologia. As Kia mentioned earlier, even Zeref considers him to be too evil for this world."

Gray blinked, "Is he really that strong? I mean, I know he's like a force of nature, but that's insane?"

"Yes. He is." Kia closed her eyes, her mind immediately shifting back to the day he had come out of nowhere and changed her whole world. She could still hear those snarls and cries as the dragons she knew and loved all died one after the other. Even when she opened her eyes again a second later, they were glazed over some, "He had the power to rip the souls out of five dragons in succession."

Juvia gripped the front of her coat, "It's so scary."

The Water mage had no idea how right she was. Kia had yet to tell anyone else about Zeref's little meeting with Acnologia and honestly, she was only planning to let Master Mavis know. That encounter was still bothering her as well. Kia tried factoring it in when she worked through the different reasons why he might want the Fairy Heart.

"Wait a sec." Happy padded forward, "This might seem like a stupid question to ask you guys, but if we have something that's this powerful, what's stopping us from using it on both of them? Boom! Yeah! Take that, you baddies! Boom!"

Makarov nodded, "I supposed that question needs to be asked. I must admit, I did consider using it to stop the Faces in the battle with Tartaros. Although we would've clinched a short-term victory, there was no telling what the long-lasting effects might've been. For example, what if we'd lost control of the Etherion and it rained down limitless destruction?"

The blue Exceed's ears drooped, "Jeez, sorry for asking."

Lily stepped up beside him, "Remember, you can't counteract a poison with another poison, Happy."

'You can't counteract a poison with another poison.' Kia ran those words through her head a few times. It almost felt too perfect to describe how she saw the situation. Zeref kept stacking problems on top of each other and they weren't just problems that affected their side, they affected him too. 'If he sees Fairy Heart as the solution or antidote, how big of an infestation will he create to cancel each side out in order to achieve his goal.'

She closed her eyes at the cheers and declarations to protect the all-powerful weapon. Gajeel was also saying something but she drowned it out.

'What even is this goal he is trying to achieve? Destroy Acnologia? Be laid to rest? Finally have a way that he can actually kill me? I wouldn't put it past him.'