48 : b a c k . t o . m a g n o l i a

Verani always loved the way the air felt when it slipped through her hair. That was one of the reasons she loved using her magic to go everywhere. That wind around the Christine felt so relaxing even though they were in what was potentially enemy territory.

"You're in an awfully good mood."

The blonde didn't bother to look as her oldest friend stepped up beside her.

"I finally know why Grandpa did what he did." Verani lifted her arms gently as the air current picked up. "I always knew he had his reasons, but it's good to understand."

Amber rested her hand on V's shoulder, "We'll have him and the others home soon."

"Yeah," she nodded, the word trailing off as her gaze got lost in the clouds.

"V?"

"What if we're too late, Amber?" She spoke softly as if saying it outloud might make it real. "He's been gone for almost a year, trying to talk an enemy down."

Amber stepped around, looking Verani straight in the eye, "Master is one of the most stubborn people I have ever met and I grew up in the guild." A faint smirk crossed V's lips as she listened.

"If diplomacy wasn't working, we would have heard about some crazy old wizard waging war on his own."

Verani couldn't help but chuckle, "You're probably right."

"You know how he is."

"See, statements like that don't help my worries."

Amber rolled her eyes, stepping over to stand beside the blonde again, "Okay..."

"What?"

"Nothing," she shook her head.

The two settled, just letting the wind push their hair out of their faces. It sank through their skin, tensing their muscles but relaxing their souls and minds. The ocean was just beginning to recede below them, signaling that they had officially crossed into Alakitasia.

Though they had gone quiet, the rest of their conversation had not gone unnoticed by two of the others that were riding on the upper deck. Gajeel didn't pay much attention as he listened to the different plans that Levy was working out for when they got closer to their destination, but Laxus was a different story.

He was leaning against the corner of the bridge, trying to ignore the ramblings of the man inside driving, eyes closed and arms crossed over his chest. His enhanced hearing had no problem picking up what the girls had said and he couldn't agree with his sister more, but he knew Amber was right too. However, there was something else that he knew was weighing on the two of them that they couldn't talk about. He was more than likely the only person who knew that truth and he wasn't about to bring it up. They needed to handle one thing at a time.

||~x~||

The sand had grown into a towering wave ready to bear down on the group. Makarov scooped up the rescue team, hunkering down to face the earthen tsunami.

One of the Spriggan 13, Ajeel, cackled as he raised his arms, "You're gonna be a bunch of Fairy mummies in just a second!"

The eight held protectively in Makarov's arms continued yelling, pleading for their Master to run away.

That was when the lightning struck.

The lone bolt of electricity shattered the attacking sand, learning no trace of it.

They all looked up, easily finding the familiar form of the Blue Pegasus' Magic Bomber in the skies. A tall figure stood on the edge of the ship, his signature coat billowing around him in the wind.