73 : c r a c k e d . s k i e s

Lucy finally stopped writing, sitting calmly as all of the words made their way back into the book.

"That's all I can do. I hope it was enough." She gently closed the tome, "I wrote down our memories. What we've shared with him. We know... who Natsu truly is."

Happy agreed, "He's not some demon."

Gray gave a nod before moving forward to catch the blonde as she fell to the side. "I got ya."

She gave no response as he repositioned her so he could move his arms. "You messed with a demon's book. You took that risk because you had to." His magic shifted as familiar black markings appeared on his skin. "Now it's my turn."

Both of his hands started to glow as he held the arm Lucy had used to write, "I'll use my demon-slaying powers to clear it out of you."

The warm glow that was spreading across her skin began to recede, continuing to shrink until nothing was visible anymore. A moment lingered before she sat up straight and let out a few coughs as if it were the first deep breath she had taken since everything had started.

"Are you okay?"

Lucy gave Gray a weak smile, "I am. Thank you."

Happy stepped closer, happy that his friend was alright and also amazed that she was back to normal. "Those markings that were on you are gone."

"Hm. Hey, look."

And just like that, their moment of celebration tapered out as the Book of E.N.D. began to glow in an eerie green light. The three could only watch and pray that the worst would not happen as it faded from existence. Lucy picked up Happy, hugging him as the three all had different thoughts running through their minds.

'But when the book disappears, Natsu will, too.'

'I believe in you, Natsu.'

'If Kia could survive this, so can you, flamebrain.'

They remained quiet, hoping for the best. It wouldn't matter if they had beaten Zeref if they hadn't been able to save their friend.

Then there was the sound of footsteps.

The three looked over to see who was approaching and paused. Ragged and burnt from going overboard, Natsu slowly walked toward them. But he was alive.

"Hey, guys." He lifted his good arm to wave.

"Natsu?" The little blue Exceed couldn't quite believe his eyes, but he soon got over that. He was out of Lucy's arms and zipping toward his best friend, "Natsu! It's really you!"

And they were all smiles.

"Excellent work, Natsu!"

"Oh!" Happy cried, "You're alive!"

"Don't be gross! You're gettin' snot all over me!"

"It's not snot, Natsu! It's emotion juice. It's fine."

"No, it's kinda nasty."

But the Exceed couldn't fully stop his tears as he buried his face further into the Dragon Slayer's chest, "We won."

"We did." Natsu gently ran his fingers along his head, pausing as he tried to figure out how to let them know what else had happened. "But... I think the First Master passed away."

Lucy's gaze shifted toward the ground, "That's awful."

"Ya know," Natsu's tone was much lighter than the others were expecting, making them all turn to look in his direction. They found him gazing off toward the sky, a faint smile on his face, "something tells me we shouldn't be sad. I just have this feeling, like things have ended for her the way that she wanted them to."