01: returning to home

You finally did it. After four years of hard work you finally held the diploma for your bachelor of arts in your hands.

You sighed as you threw one last look at the tiny apartment downtown that has been your home for the whole last year. It was time to say goodbye and fly back home.

"Come on, what are you sighing at? It's not like you're saying goodbye for good. You can always come back", James reminded you with a scolding tone, "and you've been talking nonstop about finally returning home so don't get all whiny about it."

"Hey! I have a right to be sad. I made so many beautiful memories here so excuse me if I need a moment", you complained.

"Okay, okay, fine. Need a hug?", he asked in his cute but funny British accent.

You nodded with a pout and he opened his arms for you to run into his embrace.

He has become a very important and good friend to you during the whole last year. He was the only moral support who kept you sane during the exam period.

"I just came up here to tell you that we need to go. The taxi is waiting downstairs", he mumbled rubbing your back gently. You widened your eyes and pulled away.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner? We need to leave right now or else we'll be late", you said frantically and grabbed the handle of your suitcase to make your way to the door followed by James.

"Well I would have told you if you weren't busy weeping over leaving your tiny, rusty apartment", he said shrugging as you heaved your suitcase downstairs with his help.

"Fine, blame it on me. But I will rip your head off if we miss our flight", you threatened him and sent him a death glare when you left the apartment complex and made your way to the taxi.

"I know, I love you too", he said giggling and stowed your suitcase in the trunk next to his.

Actually you were very glad he was on the same flight as you. It would make a lot of things easier. He decided to come with you and spend his vacation travelling around your home country until he'd start his master at your university.

You hopped into the taxi and drove off to the airport. You let your gaze wander over the familiar streets of London as you went through a list of things in your head to make sure you didn't forget anything.

Being lost in your thoughts your eyes fell on your hands lying in your lap and...

the beautiful ring on your right ring finger.

It was a very filigree and simple silver ring with one small gemstone in the middle. It caught the dull light and reflected it in all colours of the rainbow.

A wave of sadness, regret and resentment washed over you and you exhaled sharply. You didn't have the heart to take it off, even after everything that happened.

But now... maybe it was time to let go

"Hey, Y/N. Stop being so melodramatic, it's going to be great fun when you're back home. You won't miss this at all", he tried cheering you up giving you a playful grin.

But that wasn't the problem. The problem was home.

But he didn't know since you didn't tell him. You tried leaving it behind you and talking about it again only meant opening old wounds.

"I get to meet your parents, we can eat tons of food together and I can meet this best friend you've been talking about all the time", he said wiggling his eyebrows.

"Oh, he's not- nevermind... I know you'll enjoy it quite a lot", you agreed and returned a smile so he wouldn't have to worry about you.

You were fine, you just needed more time. Which you didn't have.

The rest of the journey passed by really quickly. You let go of your sorrow and soon James and you were joking around like you always did together.

Your mood was lifted in an instant and you couldn't wait to be back home, hug your parents and sleep in your own bed.

After you retrieved your luggage and were on your way to the exit you realised you forgot to tell your parents when you were going to land and they could pick you up.

You face-palmed yourself knowing you had to call a cab. It would take too long until your parents could come to get you.

"So Y/N, there was something I wanted to ask you", James began while you were searching for your phone.

"Hm?", you nodded signalling that he had your attention while you rummaged in your handbag.

"I didn't want to ask you sooner because I know you've been very busy with your exams and stressed about going home so I wanted to wait", he explained making you frown. What was going on?

"Okay", you answered hesitantly and looked up at him to see his facial expression.

"I know we've been friends for quite some time but... see, I really like you and I want to at least try and shoot my shot", he said getting a little shy when you widened your eyes surprised.

Was he trying to make a move on you? Since when did he start liking you?

"Y/N, I want to go on a date with you", he finally spit it out and watched your reaction carefully.

"Only if you want, of course. If you want to stay just friends, it's fine", he quickly reassured you when he saw your baffled face, "I just wanted to try, you know."

You took a few seconds to think about your answer and stopped looking at his face for a short moment.

And then your blood froze. Your heart stopped beating and your lips parted in pure shock.

There he was.

A very familiar figure walking straight towards you.

Tall, very muscular, long legs, all black fit and silky hair ruffled in all directions. It was him.

The love of your life. Your man. Your first... and your last. The one who got away.

You couldn't- you didn't want to take your eyes off him but James next to you began looking worried because of your facial expression and you needed to answer him.

"I- I don't think that's a good idea", you managed to stutter, a tornado raging in your mind, "I can't.. I really like you but only-"

"That's okay, that's fine. No need to explain yourself", he cut you off and gave you a warm smile.

And then he reached you and stood right behind James with a big smirk on his face.

"Hi, babe. Missed me much?"

Hi everyone!

I'm back with book or season 2.
I just quickly wanted to thank you for all the support and the comments on the first one.

I love you guys so so much. I hope you'll enjoy this one too ♡

Stream PTD!!!!